Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2015   #271
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Tasmanian Chocolate has always done well for me even in Florida's heat and humidity. It outlasted most of my other dwarfs. I still have Sweet Scarlet and Beauty King producing some even though everything else has been removed. This has been much hotter than normal for June.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #272
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Kay, what is the fruit size and color of Dwarf Sweet Scarlet? And what do you think of the flavor? I really love it (when it has a good year for me)
Old June 20, 2015   #273
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

It tends to be 7-8 ounces which is my favorite size. The flavor is great and it has consistently been a beautiful red. Now that it is a released variety I have it growing at the Extension Office demonstration garden and all of the staff and Master Gardeners love it. It is my favorite of the released ones but Beauty King is neck and neck. Not only does it has fantastic flavor but it really is a beauty.
Old June 21, 2015   #274
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Narnian, don't forget the factor of individual, specific taste preferences. And how well a particular variety is adapted to particular climate and weather.
No, I haven't - but so far, every black I have tried has tasted great. I am also curious about TC and its pedigree, because I have its parent Paul Robeson growing next to it - will be fun to compare the flavor!
Would be handy to have one small sized black plant if one year I have to reserve my space for other color combinations.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #275
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

For the blacks (both clear and yellow skinned - so purples and browns), I'd rank, for flavor (my favorite to my least favorite - but I like them all, so this is relative)

Rosella Purple (purple) (class of its own)

Wild Fred (purple)
Perth Pride (purple) (these two next)

Boronia (purple)
Dwarf Purple Heart (purple)
Tasmanian Chocolate (brown)
Chocolate Champion (brown) (these four together)

Sleeping Lady (brown)
Bundaberg Rumball (brown) (these two together)

but I am sure this year's comparison will tweak the order a bit.
Old June 21, 2015   #276
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
For the blacks (both clear and yellow skinned - so purples and browns), I'd rank, for flavor (my favorite to my least favorite - but I like them all, so this is relative)

Rosella Purple (purple) (class of its own)

Wild Fred (purple)
Perth Pride (purple) (these two next)

Boronia (purple)
Dwarf Purple Heart (purple)
Tasmanian Chocolate (brown)
Chocolate Champion (brown) (these four together)

Sleeping Lady (brown)
Bundaberg Rumball (brown) (these two together)

but I am sure this year's comparison will tweak the order a bit.
geese this observation/ opinion is super ....and

as you have said before ..."Take with a grain of salt " etc.

and results will vary under different conditions etc.

but still ....Super Duper list ! Thanks ....there is much to think about with ones own experience.

Dare I ask if you could do the same personal relative taste ranking for the Green ????

( I have an Idea already/prediction but I am keen to hear of the other opinions)
Old June 21, 2015   #277
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sure - how I would rank the green when ripe varieties

Summertime Green - superb tomato - my favorite of all of these by a hair

Jade Beauty
Beryl Beauty
Emerald Giant
Kelly Green - all of these are excellent, with some variations on nuances (sweet, tart), and perhaps a bit of variation due to ripeness level, even season - but I love them all

Big Green Dwarf - I think this is better than I've rated it, but I've not grown it all that often and it's had some disease issues. I look forward to a good, honest test of it this year compared to all of the above. It is a good tomato, but hasn't risen to great for me in flavor yet.

And if you want me to do the yellows (I included white and orange and yellow/red bicolor into this group)

Summertime Gold
Mr. Snow
Sweet Sue
Summer Sweet Gold
Summer Sunrise
Blazing Beauty - these six are all quite incredible. I would separate out Mr. Snow and Blazing Beauty in terms of flavor characteristics due to their relative tartness, but that is just going to impact preference - these are all just delicious.

Wherokowhai
Sean's Yellow
Uluru Ochre - I have less experience with these three, and they actually are just a notch below superb in flavor for me - though in some seasons with some selections Wherokowhai and Uluru elevated into the superb category. We shall see this year!

Banksia Queen
Golden Heart - I am least experienced with these and I look forward to reevaluating them this year.

As far as the pinks

Rosella Crimson
Sweet Adelaide - these have been superb at time for me - both have been disease prone, so this is a big year for them in my garden. I've had Rosella Crimson that rivaled Brandywine a few times.

Pink Passion
Yukon Quest
Arctic Rose - these three are fine, but just a bit milder in flavor for me - but they make up for it in yield and relative earliness.
Old June 23, 2015   #278
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Grumpy ????

upon looking I see I have picked many "Grumpy " line before......

Is Grumpy Line also the most "Compact " of the dwarf projects ?

Did I miss something here or in development or are there others that are a bit more Compact than Grumpy decedent's ?

Last edited by BlackBear; June 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #279
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've found the Grumpy line to be the most compact, with the Sleepy line (Rosella Crimson and Purple) the next most compact - but they are wider, bushier plants than the Grumpies.
Old June 23, 2015   #280
tivia
Tomatovillian™

Default My 2015 Dwarfs

Hello all,
I have a number of dwarfs that I'm growing this season-- Pennsylvania zone 6b, just north of Philadelphia. I planted all of these out the second week of May-- no ripe ones yet (ha!), but, like Craig, I think the winner of the race is going to be Dwarf Pink Passion.
In general I'm having better luck avoiding disease up to now, but I've been pretty diligent about spraying copper periodically. In years past anthracnose (at least I think that's what it is) has reared its ugly head later in the season.
These are the nine dwarfs that I'm growing:

Chocolate Lightning (pot)
Dwarf Pink Passion (pot)
Perth Pride (two plants, one in pot and one in ground)
Rosella Purple (pot)
Sleeping Lady (two plants, one in pot and one in ground)
Sweet Adelaide (ground)
Sweet Scarlet Dwarf (ground)
Uluru Ochre(ground)
Wherokowhai (pot)

The smallest one by height is Rosella Purple; tallest ones are Chocolate Lightning and Uluru Ochre. Uluru Ochre is also quite bushy. All have fruit set--as I said, Pink Passion will probably be the first to ripen, and Wherokowhai will probably come in second.

I have pictures of all the plants photographed with a large ruler, so you can compare sizes. I'm not a photographer, so some pictures aren't all that great!

Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chocolate Lightning.jpg (252.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Pink Passion.jpg (275.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Perth Pride potted.jpg (237.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Perth Pride.jpg (284.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Rosella Purple.jpg (251.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Sleeping Lady potted.jpg (317.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Sleeping Lady.jpg (325.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Sweet Adelaide.jpg (350.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Sweet Scarlet Dwarf.jpg (406.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Uluru Ochre.jpg (344.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Wherokowhai.jpg (325.6 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by tivia; June 23, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
tivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #281
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Very nice! thanks for posting the pics. This is going to be a fun next few months!
Old June 23, 2015   #282
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I really love Wherokowhai and did not save seeds since I was growing alot of varieties and could only isolate so many. I noticed it is no longer available on Heritage Tomato Seeds.

Sweet Scarlet has always been around 4 feet for me. It is way past growing season in Florida but since it is still producing some I let it continue. It is now over 5 ft tall and the tomatoes are much smaller. I should let it go but I just have to taste one or two more.
Old July 11, 2015   #283
RT_Peasant
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing 3 dwarfs for the first time this year, all in 15 gal containers. Here from L to R are Sweet Sue, Rosella Purple, and Arctic Rose. Sweet Sue is a bit of a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. The CRW cage that I put around her is probably overkill.
20150704_131340 (1280x960).jpg

Compared to my indeterminates, the dwarfs are maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the size.
20150704_115838 (1280x960).jpg
The dwarfs seem much happier in the 15 gal containers than the indeterminates. Where the indeterminates wilt on hot days and the leaves are starting to curl, the dwarfs look happy as a clam in their containers.

The growth habit of the Rosella Purple is just amazing. The leaves are so thick and heavy, I have to get down on my knees and look up to see if I have tomatoes. My neighbors that look at it think I'm some kind of gardening whiz to grow such a healthy looking tomato plant. I would probably grow it again just to grow such a beautiful plant!
2015-07-11 14.19.26 (767x1024).jpg

I can't wait to report back on the flavor!
RT_Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #284
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

I'm ne two the forum and eager to test out some of the dwarves next year.

As a huge fan of Green Zebra, I'm especially interested in tart tomatoes. What do you recommend?
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #285
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

If you like tart tomatoes in the Green Zebra category, I'd go for Perth Pride, Dwarf Blazing Beauty, or Chocolate Champion for a start. My palate perceives those as allowing the acidity to show through most distinctly.