Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 11, 2012   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default BioAtlantis Ecolicitor and SuperFifty

This is a company out of Ireland specializing in products made from Ascophyllum nodosum (Brown Seaweed). I received a 250ml sample of each and will trial both on plants using these products this season. Ami

Here is the company writeup on Ecolicitor;

BioAtlantis Ecolicitor® is a proprietary composition formulated using specific levels of fucoidan and laminarin extracted from Ascophyllum nodosum and concentrated at 300g dry matter /L. Collectively laminarin and fucoidan carbohydrates are known to possess prebiotic, antioxidative and therapeutic properties. They also encourage growth and activity of ‘friendly’ soil-microorganisms such as Pseudomonas and Actinomycetes and protect the plants against invasion by nematodes, pathogens and unfriendly microbes.

Here is the company write up on SuperFifty;

Super Fifty is a 50% concentrated Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed extract (The highest on the world market); Super Fifty is soluble in water at 99% and can be mixed with pesticides/fungicides for foliar application or fertigation. Has been shown to increase both percentage of Pseudomonas and the total bacterial populations at the roots thus enhancing the prebiotic effect. Enhances sytematic acquired resistance to pathogens in plants. Promotes performance, uniform ripening, leaf development, stronger branches, flowering and berry establishment, elevating sugar content and increased yields. Contains natural plant hormones (auxins, cytokinin, gibberellins), Laminarin, Mannitol, Fucoidan and Alginate.
Old March 15, 2012   #2
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Do you plan on using these as a foliar spray or soil drench? Along with Actinovate? The BioAtlantis product mentions protection against nematodes which are a problem in my garden. It sounds as though BioAtlantis works by stimulating other microbes to do the work of protecting the roots rather than the mechanisms for control in Actinovate, in which the actual organisms in Actinovate are what protect the roots?

I think actinovate used as a soil drench really helped last year, when I pulled my in-ground plants the roots had some nematode damage but I suspect the nematodes were kept at bay long enough to produce a good harvest. Maybe these products could be used along with the Actinovate for additional rather than redundant nematode protection.

ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

ginny, sorry for the late response. I plan on using both as a drench and foliar as well. It looks they will make a good team when used in con★★★★★★★★ with Actinovate. As far as your nematode problem use Biota Max along with the Actinovate when you do your soil drench and you may see some improvement. Ami
Old April 2, 2012   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

I have tried to fine this product in USA. Amazon turns up nothing and so does Google Shopping. any USA links for the products?
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

John, not available in the U.S. att. Ami
Old April 2, 2012   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

John, check out this product. Ami

http://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Harve.../dp/B000FQBBHK
Old April 2, 2012   #7
John3
Tomatovillian™

Ami I have tried their product it is good but but they are hot pressing their seaweed (so they told me a some years back) - unless they are now cold pressing the seaweed.
It doesn't seem to matter about fish fert being hot or cold pressed.
From what I have gathered researching hot and cold pressing of the two.
That's why I started using Saltwater Farms seaweed - it is cold pressed
Old April 2, 2012   #8
John3
Tomatovillian™

BTW - if their products are really good they might could talk to Amazon USA to warehouse and use their fulfillment services
Old April 4, 2012   #9
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Ami I have tried their product it is good but but they are hot pressing their seaweed (so they told me a some years back) - unless they are now cold pressing the seaweed.
It doesn't seem to matter about fish fert being hot or cold pressed.
From what I have gathered researching hot and cold pressing of the two.
That's why I started using Saltwater Farms seaweed - it is cold pressed
I am editing this after mush searching on their products I found this:
Quote:
Neptune's Harvest...
Uses several species of fish
Neptune's Harvest is made from several species of edible North Atlantic Fish remains (the part that is left after the fillet is removed for human consumption). Several species are better, because each species has a different nutrients analysis profile, so you get a full range of nutrients, vitamins, amino acids, enzymes and growth hormones. We mix all the Hydrolyzed Fish in a 10,000-gallon mixing tank before it is pumped into holding tanks. This process ensures a very consistent product from day to day and year to year. The fish we use are caught a minimum of three miles from shore and usually much further, in the icy, clean waters of the North Atlantic.

Quote:
Neptune's Harvest...
Cold processedNeptune's Harvest is cold processed all the way from start to finish. The fish is converted through the grinding process and by the naturally occurring enzymes that continually break down the fish into a liquid. These enzymes are still alive in our final product as well, so they are there to keep your soil alive. We then screen it to take out any remaining bone particles. Nothing else is removed from the product, and the only thing added is phosphoric acid to stabilize. It is more expensive than sulfuric or formic acid, but it is safer to use for our employees and yours and is something the plant needs anyway. This is why our phosphorus is higher than fish emulsions, on the analysis.

http://www.neptunesharvest.com/emulsions.html

I just read something I didn't know about fish fert at the Neptune site
Quote:
Emulsions...
One type of fish (trash fish)
Emulsions are made from so-called "Trash Fish" (fish that Americans won't eat), usually Menhaden is used. Menhaden is caught in harbors and rivers on the coast and are exposed to coastal pollutants. Also, lake fish used could contain Mercury and PCB's.