Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2015   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I started with Burpee's mix, but ran out.

I've been using peat-based pro mix on the bottom half of the cell of pot, and then vermiculite in the top half with the seed. I have always had good results with vermiculite.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #17
Tania
Tomatovillian™

It used to be Promix HP for me. Not anymore. It was a great mix for seed starting, but pepper seedlings will not thrive in it.

We now make a mix from 75% coco coir and 25% perlite. Works so much better for pepper seedlings! When potting up, we just add 50% compost.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #18
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I start dense sowing (see NCtomatoman's videos) using either Miracle Gro Seed Starting Mix or this year, Espoma Organic Seed Starting Mix. Last year was great and this year seems on track to do the same. When they get a couple sets, I pot them up using whatever commercially bagged potting MIX I can get at that time. Last year again was MG potting mix, this year I'm trying Espoma potting MIX.
Old March 26, 2015   #19
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Happy Frog. It's only $12 a bag at the local hydroponics store -- a great source for organic gardening supplies.

When I pot up, I use a mix of recycled soil and potting mix, with homemade compost.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #20
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

This is my second year using Vermont Compost's Fort Vee as my seed starting medium. Had amazing results last year with this mix and experiencing like results so far this season. Seedlings are vibrant and exhibit tremendous growth habit. It's pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Fort Vee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcktI2q_5mM
Old March 29, 2015   #21
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

IM about to pot up my seedlings. Would mushroom compost be a decent medium for potting up if it was mixed 50/50 with other soils? I have some happy frog soil left over from last year as well as perlite and vermiculite. I need to pot up before I leave on a trip and I can't make it back to my hydroponic store before then. This stuff is dirt cheap at the big box stores...
Emeoba69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Some people do ok with compost in their media. I tend to get stem rot and damping off, especially in cold weather.
Old March 30, 2015   #23
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

jiffy bag of 12qt seeding mix and 72 cell hexagon cell tray.. soak mixed distilled water in a bucket and lightly filled cells .. used a pencil and dropped individual seeds in each cell lightly cover 1/8 to 1/4 inch depth. placed on a heat pad out of direct sunlight. less than 15.00 with a few burpee packs..rutgers and red brandywine ..plus last seasons seeds i purchased here from Renee.
FISHBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #24
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

I'm using Fox Farm's Light Warrior this year, and so far so good. Previously I've used Jiffy mix, and that worked just fine for me too. I give them a weak solution of fertilizer when they get their first true leaves.

I pot them up when they get their second set of true leaves (or sometimes third if I fall behind), into 3-4" pots with potting soil of some sort.
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #25
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSky View Post
I'm using Fox Farm's Light Warrior this year, and so far so good. Previously I've used Jiffy mix, and that worked just fine for me too. I give them a weak solution of fertilizer when they get their first true leaves.

I pot them up when they get their second set of true leaves (or sometimes third if I fall behind), into 3-4" pots with potting soil of some sort.
yes, i go with the dollar store party pinic plastic cups.. drill few 1/2 holes in the bottom also use quality potting soil
Old April 20, 2015   #26
reniusa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
I get the Black Gold from my local garden center. Not sure what you mean by "complete" but seed starting mix won't have any fertilizer in it. When I bump my seedlings up to the bigger pot, I use a regular potting mix and begin to feed them. That's about the time they get two sets of true leaves.
Thanks for a tip on when to transfer seedlings. I know it wasn't the intention, but I do appreciate it!
reniusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #27
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Default feed for seedlings

I just repotted the seedlings into bigger 1 pint sized party cups.. i used a 1/4 drill bit and drill a hole center bottom about a half dozen stack cups at a time. also made a 50/50 mix of both the left over bag of jiffy starter seed mix which basically is fortified peat moss with miricle grow potting soil. I still want the peat because I think the seedlings root system grow much faster and bigger with enriched peat mixture, I shall find out soon enough.. I also started outside hardening process and so far they are looking great..24 plants potted so far.. going to pot the others next few days too. When i repot.. I use a sardine fork and gently lift from under each seedling in the jiffy 72 cell tray..using caution not to break both tray or the plants roots.. i also premix with water to half the party cup..easing the seedlingin the middle and gently back filling up the 3/4 full the party cup. plenty deep for these seedlings to grow well over a foot if need be before they can be put out after danger of last frost..probably end of May. I will be using miracle grow and milorgranite for in ground fertilizer and from there we shall see mostly beef steak variety and fewer cherry plants this season
Old April 21, 2015   #28
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I used to use Promix HP but found it to be very clumpy. I like the texture of Light Warrior much more. Next season I'm going to try a mix I've been reading about: Double/triple ground hardwood bark mulch, my homemade compost and some pea gravel (or perlite).
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #29
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone use plain sand? It seems like that would work well, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old April 21, 2015   #30
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBONE View Post
I just repotted the seedlings into bigger 1 pint sized party cups.. i used a 1/4 drill bit and drill a hole center bottom about a half dozen stack cups at a time. also made a 50/50 mix of both the left over bag of jiffy starter seed mix which basically is fortified peat moss with miricle grow potting soil. I still want the peat because I think the seedlings root system grow much faster and bigger with enriched peat mixture, I shall find out soon enough.. I also started outside hardening process and so far they are looking great..24 plants potted so far.. going to pot the others next few days too. When i repot.. I use a sardine fork and gently lift from under each seedling in the jiffy 72 cell tray..using caution not to break both tray or the plants roots.. i also premix with water to half the party cup..easing the seedlingin the middle and gently back filling up the 3/4 full the party cup. plenty deep for these seedlings to grow well over a foot if need be before they can be put out after danger of last frost..probably end of May. I will be using miracle grow and milorgranite for in ground fertilizer and from there we shall see mostly beef steak variety and fewer cherry plants this season
Fishbone, I certainly wouldn't use milorganite on edibles.. I use it occasionally on the lawn and bamboo but not on anything I'll be eatting. Sewage sludge and food I'll be eating just doesn't jive well with me lol.. There are many better alternatives.. To each their own of course.. =)
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote