Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 30, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default NUMEX Suave Orange

I started several of these from seed by organic methods, and then grew two of them to production in 12" pots -- one organically and the other inorganically. No noticeable difference in performance. Both have been trouble free with regard to pests, disease, and ailments. The plants are about 2 feet tall with about 50 fruits each.

I noticed this evening that two of the fruits were ripe so I ate them fresh straight off the plants. As advertised: they look like Habanero, they taste like Habanero BUT the heat level is very low, in my estimation about 1500 Scovilles. Very curious because the flavor is still somehow searing but it does not burn your mouth.
Old July 1, 2014   #2
LDiane

I started a few seeds of both red and orange Suave back in February when I sowed
all my other peppers. The other pepper plants now have peppers. There is one
red Suave with two leaves, each smaller than my thumb nail, and no
orange plants.
Old July 1, 2014   #3
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
I started a few seeds of both red and orange Suave back in February when I sowed
all my other peppers. The other pepper plants now have peppers. There is one
red Suave with two leaves, each smaller than my thumb nail, and no
orange plants.
Old July 7, 2014   #4
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Perfume which like those mentioned has no heat. i was told by other growers to try the Suave Orange as it grows better. I see not true in all cases! My perfume was slowed by a cool spring, and all my peppers were slowed, but now they are growing well.
The Perfume seems to be doing fine now. Anyway another one may want to try. Next year I will keep peppers in the cold frame longer. I should get better growth, as early in the year while in the cold frame they were growing really well. I learned a lot. This is the first year I grew a lot of different peppers besides the bell types.
I did harvest my first hot pepper, Uyababa Pepper from Africa a cayenne type pepper. It's very hot!! Seems a good candidate for powder.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote