Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old January 23, 2016   #46
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I thought you are supposed to break them up before planting, and them one to a pot or so? Same with ginger?
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #47
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Worth, are they in the ground? From what I've read, they need a warm bed to sprout- that's why I'm using heat mats. Then later I will put them in containers. I bought some black plastic buckets at $ tree that are about 12" across. I think I will try to grow all mine in pots with a few test ones in ground. I think zone 6a is too cold for them.
Yep everything in the ground outside.
I dont have any more room for anything well maybe.
My sweet potato slip starter plants are doing okay outside even in the cold weather.

I just checked my soil temperature is about 52F after it being down to around 32 last night.
We are going to have some days in the 60's and 70's in a day or two.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; January 23, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #48
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I planted whole fingers that I had broken off from the mother plant. You want pieces that have two of three eyes. I planted the ones I have inside on heat mats in individual pots. The rest I have stored in sphagnum moss to plant outside after it is warm.

It would be ok to have those in one large tray while they are sprouting and then put them in large pots later. The 12 inch pots will not be big enough by summer. Once they really get growing the tubers can get large if they are getting the right conditions. You want them have plenty of room so you can have a good harvest. The pots depth is not as important the width. I think the fake half whiskey barrels at Home Depot or Lowes would be good.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #49
JoParrott

Default turmeric

WOW! Thanks, Kay- yes, I do plan to use the trays just for sprouting, then move single plants to bigger pots- I wasn't thinking of half barrels! But I do have these 3 outside-I usually grow potatoes in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160123_093129[1].jpg (94.8 KB, 101 views)
Old January 23, 2016   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I planted whole fingers that I had broken off from the mother plant. You want pieces that have two of three eyes. I planted the ones I have inside on heat mats in individual pots. The rest I have stored in sphagnum moss to plant outside after it is warm.

It would be ok to have those in one large tray while they are sprouting and then put them in large pots later. The 12 inch pots will not be big enough by summer. Once they really get growing the tubers can get large if they are getting the right conditions. You want them have plenty of room so you can have a good harvest. The pots depth is not as important the width. I think the fake half whiskey barrels at Home Depot or Lowes would be good.
Why not buy a full barrel of whiskey drink it all cut it in half and use it as planters.

Worth
Old January 23, 2016   #51
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Since I am originally from Kentucky I would not have a problem with that except for the price. Plus cutting them in half might be hard to do. But they would look great in the garden.
Old January 23, 2016   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Since I am originally from Kentucky I would not have a problem with that except for the price. Plus cutting them in half might be hard to do. But they would look great in the garden.
I used to live down the road from an old wood barrel factory(Cooperage).
If a person knew what they were doing you could buy the staves from them and make your own.
I nice older lady owned the property and she would sell the staves to you from the old barn they were kept in.

Worth
Old February 2, 2016   #53
JoParrott

Default Turmeric

One of my Turmeric roots has sprouted ! They have been in the soil for about 2 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0006.JPG (442.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0007.JPG (440.6 KB, 86 views)
Old February 2, 2016   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks great.
I have been checking the soil temperature in the outside begs and it is around 60 degrees and nothing has rotted.

Worth
Old February 2, 2016   #55
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I know you are excited to see that first on sprout. I hope all the others do too. You are on the way to having a turmeric farm!
Old February 3, 2016   #56
JoParrott

Kay, when you use the powder do you have to add anything else to it? I bought some capsules today and the only ingredient is Turmeric. I have some empty gelatin capsules and a filling tray that I could use if I ever get enough !
Old February 3, 2016   #57
JoParrott

Can someone tell me how to make this thread show up when I open Tville? Every time I want to post or read it I have to type "Turmeric" in the search to find it. Even though I post a new reply it doesn't show up in the new posts. Thanks
Old February 3, 2016   #58
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Turmeric's big health benefit is the curcumin it contains but is not very soluble to get in the blood stream. Adding black pepper to it corrects that. You can buy the capsules that do have the pepper. It is suppose to be even better if you add fat. If you google golden paste you can find recipes to mix turmeric, black pepper and coconut oil. I have not tried it.

I think if you took your capsules along with a meal and made sure you used black pepper on the food you would get the same benefit. You don't want to waste what you have already bought.
Old February 3, 2016   #59
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I love using turmeric in my food and sometimes I even take it as paste mixed with coconut oil.
Would love to grow that miracle plant, but likely not possible in my zone...?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Can someone tell me how to make this thread show up when I open Tville? Every time I want to post or read it I have to type "Turmeric" in the search to find it. Even though I post a new reply it doesn't show up in the new posts. Thanks
When you post a reply it wont show up in the new post because you have already looked at it.
The easiest thing to do is to just go to the Miscellaneous Edibles section and click on Herbs.
Another option is to collapse your tomatoville screen to make it smaller.
Then grab hold of the the Turmeric thread and drag and drop it on your computer screen or into any other file you want.
You would have to have both of the files set to where you can see both to do it.
You could call it tomatoville favorites.
Yet another option is to bookmark that thread.
Right click on it and bookmark it.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 3, 2016 at 09:48 AM.