Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 18, 2009   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse help

I hope this is the right section for this question, if not, maybe one of the moderators can move it where it needs to go?
We are planning to build (ourselves) a permanent greenhouse/playroom for me as soon as the weather breaks. It will be a lean to type, off the side of our barn. I have a couple of questions...so if you have a greenhouse, or even just an opinion, please chime in and help.
The greenhouse will be built out of wood, with a brick floor. Not fancy at all...we'll call it rustic It will have a metal part roof, then an angled south facing side, going down to a knee wall. East and west walls will have a full view door, and regular windows. Should we install tempered glass panels, plexiglass/acrylic panels, or this polycarbonate stuff on the south wall? Snow load would not be much of an issue, since we don't get that much snow here, and the angled wall would be fairly steep.
Pro and con opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 18, 2009   #2
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

HI Barbee,
I would go with polycarbonate panels because around here we get some wicked hail storms. YOu also get some R value out double walled polycarb.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2009   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Automatic temperature/ventilation will be most important to consider if you bet good south sun.
A picture where you will build it would help.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'll try to get a photo taken....although I'll be mighty embarassed, since it's a big junk catch all right now. Basically, I live in the middle of 100 acres of prime farm ground. Sun all over and the barn will be on the north side of the greenhouse. This barn sits 200 ft or so behind the house and we do have a big ash tree in the back yard but it's too far away from the greenhouse site to be of any concern, shade wise.
We have to repair the barn anyway, so when my hubby asked what he should do to spruce that side up....a greenhouse was the first thing that popped into my head.