Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 27, 2007   #16
dgriff
Tomatovillian™

Down by Pungo. They budded and flowered last year but I picked off the flowers to encourge root growth and will do the same this year. There are blueberry and blackberry farms down here (pick your own) so I know they can survive.
dgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2007   #17
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I think I am going to pick some blackberries this year and make some jelly. My blueberries are just now starting to open leaves. No flowers yet. I guess I should pick them off when they bloom.
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2007   #18
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Lowbush blueberries are fairly easy to transplant as long as you realize that what looks like 10 plants scattered around may actually be one plant with 10 sprouts. Make sure that what you dig up has some actual roots on the stems (rather than just a horizontal stem going who knows where), and then give it good (acid, not too rich) conditions in its new home.
I moved several from our cottage in Maine when they came up in the gravel driveway, and they're now doing OK at my house in Virginia.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008   #19
Youngneg
Tomatovillian™

Default blueberries in containers

Hello
I`m new to blueberries,but gonna try to grow them in half whiskey barrells semi northland ,northsky and northblue. I know about the acid soil 4.5 to 5.2 ph.I`ve read an artical on soil for bb`s 40% coir- 40% peat moss- 20 % perlite....what do you think...should i add manure or hummus, organic potting soil...bark....and i heard pick the buds off the first year...these bushes are 3 years old......
Thanks
Youngneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008   #20
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Youngneg,

Starting out with your 40%-40%-20% mixture is pretty good. Personally, I'd toss in some leaf mold (fresh compost if you lack leaf mold) and a couple scoops of worm castings to liven things up a bit (microbes, bacteria, nematodes, etc.). Always maintain approximately 2" of mulch to protect the roots. Keep an eye on the acidity through the years.

Whiskey barrel sides should be lined with plastic, Tyvek, or something similar to aid in retention of water.

I have blueberries in the ground, in a 20 gallon pot, and in a whiskey barrel. The plants in the ground do the best. The whiskey barrel plant almost died last year. I'm still unsure of the reason-likely a combination of getting too dry in August and my mixing in <far> too many coffee grounds to begin with. (Too many uncomposted grounds lead to poor root development.)

Someone else mentioned it already, but make darned sure you pinch off all the blossoms this year. I know. It pained me the first time too, but it really does promote stronger, healthier root systems, and you'll get better yields in the following years. Just think of it as an ornamental this year.

I've probably forgotten a couple varieties, but these are what I have:

Bluecrop, Blueray, Earliblue, Duke, Berkley, Chandler, Spartan(?), and 7 rescues (unknowns) last month for $21(!).

Good luck, and have fun!

Michael in OR.
Old May 8, 2008   #21
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

I have 20 plants all highbush in their third year looks like im gonna have a decent crop this year. Last year a late hard freeze killed 5 bushes and all the berries from the remaining 20. Gizzard
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008   #22
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

Youngneg,

BBs are rather picky (at least in my experience so far). They need acidic soil, but unless your soil is already too acidic, don't add ANY manure! (Manure is alkaline). BBs do very well in mostly peat moss, although peat moss is expensive here. They also prefer full sun, and consistent watering (either too wet or too dry is bad).

Of the 9 rabbiteye bushes that I planted last year, only 1 has died (from too much water, not enough sun, and manure mixed in the soil). The others are alive, although they haven't grown as much as I had hoped.

JR
JohnnyRock is offline   Reply With Quote