Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 25, 2012   #1
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Default Passion fruit, anyone growing it?

I have planted seeds for jumbo banana, and lilikio, I have 4" transplants in the ground, I will keep you updated.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking for plants as I really want to grow it. I've heard seeds are difficult and take awhile to germinate/flower.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #3
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I got my seeds from trade winds fruit, I am going to try to get some of my other seeds to germinate.
Old April 25, 2012   #4
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Well if you put it in the ground, I hope you really really like it because it multiplies like crazy. That will only increase your chances for fruit also. They don't self-pollinate so the more the merrier.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #5
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Had a plant for awhile but pulled it because it grew like crazy and the fruit didn't taste very good. The flowers are absolutely beautiful though. One of my favorites.
Old April 25, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbacain View Post
Well if you put it in the ground, I hope you really really like it because it multiplies like crazy. That will only increase your chances for fruit also. They don't self-pollinate so the more the merrier.
I'm thinking about using big pots, since I've heard about the invasiveness. I'm already dealing with cats claw, which I dislike, not to mention invasive African Sumac, which is the most invasive tree I've ever seen. Although, maybe I should plant the passie fruits near the cats claw and sumacs. They can cover up the cats claw and weedy trees and provide some pretty fruits, flowers and butterflies.
Do hummingbirds like them?
Old April 25, 2012   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadlouie View Post
Had a plant for awhile but pulled it because it grew like crazy and the fruit didn't taste very good. The flowers are absolutely beautiful though. One of my favorites.
Which passion fruit did you have? I've heard some are not very edible.
P. Frederick is supposed to be the best. I think that's the one we ate in Africa. That and some sort of yellow one, which was more tart but also very tasty.
Old April 25, 2012   #8
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I bought a bunch of different ones, the only ones that germinated were the Banana, and lilikio, I am going to try to get the others to germinate.
Old April 29, 2012   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Could somebody explain how the pollination works when the plants are not self-fertile? Do you need two of the same type or species or just two passifloras of any type?
For instance, if I have a p.incarnata and p.edulis, can they fertilize each other?
Old April 29, 2012   #10
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I don't know either, I just bought a bunch of seeds and planted them, I guess I will wait and see. They are just little things right now.
Old April 29, 2012   #11
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I had a large passion fruit vine growing in then UK, it was very low maintenance and grew much like a mature clematis tumbling over a high fence. I grew several plants fronm the seeds but found they grew best if sown when fresh.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Can anyone give advice on how to germinate these? I brought back several hundred dried seeds from a large purple variety I liked in Rwanda, but cannot get them to germinate.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #13
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I only got 3 out of 6 kinds to germinate, I used my heat mat, with sunshine mix #3, and in a week or two they came up.
Old May 16, 2012   #14
TimeTraveler
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing this as well. I soaked my seeds in warm water for a couple of hours and put them into my sonic cleaner for a spin. Then started them in plastic cups topped with Saran wrap. Every seed I planted has sprouted and I have 6 inch plants 3 weeks later.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #15
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Can anyone give advice on how to germinate these? I brought back several hundred dried seeds from a large purple variety I liked in Rwanda, but cannot get them to germinate.
I heard soaking in orange juice for 24 hours works. They can take up to a year, kept moist on a heat mat.