Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 19, 2007   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Unusual fruits-I am growing.

This year I am growing about a dozen little fig plants sown in october from fig seeds we brought back from Portugal last summer, at the moment they are about six inches high and looking healthy in pots, the seeds were from some of the best and sweetest figs I have ever tasted, hopefully at about the three year stage I might be pulling my own figs

The second unusual fruit I am growng- is little Gogi Berry plants, from that rarish Tibetan Gogi berry that all health shops are raving about at the moment and selling dried Gogi berries in pkts at high prices- they are supposed to be the new wonder food and contain about 500% more vitamin C, than any other known fruit.

I thought to myself why pay those high prices If I can grow them myself, I soaked about half a dozen dried berries in a wine glass full of water overnight, then extracted the seeds and rinsed them under the tap in a tea strainer,let them dry for a couple of days and then sowed them in a plastic baggie on damp paper, and they started to germinate in about five or six days, so I took them out and transpanted them into pots of seedling compost- and lo and behold- lots of little Gogi berry plants about two inches high- I might be eating home grown Gogi berries yet.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote