Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 3, 2019   #2536
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I texted in, "will be late" and showed up 30 minutes late no worries we dont operate that way as far as time and so on.
That 30 minutes allowed me to go after the lunatics on the road and it was a pleasurable drive to work.
Darkest before the dawn played a big part of the deal.
By waiting I was able to get past the rain storm that was coming down and I could see to drive and the cars were less nutty on the road.
For some strange reason there is a I dont give a crap group of people that drive to work about 30 minutes later than the I'm gonna die if I dont haul a$$ and run off the road people.
It is true I have observed it for quite some time now.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2019   #2537
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

it rained today.

its not supposed to rain here in january.
january is usually a 100 inch+ snow month.
temps were in the mid 30s today, and plus 30s tomorrow.
once we get below freezing, it could be like a skating rink out there.
forecast says 3-5 inches of snow for monday.

it has been a different kind of winter so far.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2019   #2538
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Temperature just dropped to freezing but should warm up fast as the sun comes out.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2019   #2539
bower
Tomatovillian™

keith, looks like we're getting your leftovers again... rainstorm tomorrow with high winds..
Not that anyone minds it! We do get rain in January on times, and it's better than more snow - last one was 46 cm. I'm still getting over the flu, so I took the shovelling in three steps. Day 1 I only lasted half an hour, it was -22 C windchill and just too cold to breathe. Day 2 I put in a solid hour and got a good cardio workout. Then today I had to do the rest without fail, before the rain comes tomorrow... or else I would be stuck with a slab of ice out there that won't go away until spring!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #2540
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

El Niño is officially in effect and NOAA's Climate Prediction Center is forecasting it to last through the winter. I get their monthly update e-mailed to me. It takes three consecutive months of qualifying weather data (Pacific sea surface temps, etc) to declare an El Niño or La Niña. They started raising the possibilities of this winter's forecast this past fall as ocean temp data started to rise.

The following link is from 2015 (the last year we had a strong El Niño) but has a good explanation of the event along with a good graph of occurrence over the past Januarys. We were due.

https://wunderground.atavist.com/el-nino-forecast
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #2541
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

We are having an El Nino winter here. Mild and wet. Several pineapple expresses have blown through with buckets of water coming down in wild winds. No snow so far and with luck we'll get none at all. Pretty dreary dark days though. Getting some housework done at last.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #2542
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

3 to 5 inches of snow turned into 6-7 inches. several inches were on the ground, and still snowing heavily when i took the dog out this morning. winds were gusting. snow turned to misty rain later in the day.
i got the plow hung up, and had to spend several minutes digging out wet heavy snow
from around the plow. what a pain.

my son is home schooled, but has a choir class at the local high school, and joined rotc after a choir member that was in rotc
suggested he join. rotc was going to have a ball today. my son had his dress uniform ready to go. i checked the school website figuring school would be canceled for the day,
and i was right. i told my son, no school today.
WHAAAAAT????? whaddaya mean no school?
you never saw a kid so disappointed that school was canceled.

keith
Old January 8, 2019   #2543
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today, we had the windows open with a fan on. It will be colder and wet by Thursday. It has been a typical Texas winter here locally with the exception of too much rain. 70F one day - 40F the next with some freezing down to 0F or -17C not out of the question. That's just the way it is here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2019   #2544
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

It's been up & down here, but warm enough my garlic is growing strong.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2019   #2545
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

it is snowing right now. several more inches between now and 7pm wed. the range is
anywhere between 5 to 10 inches. the freeze/ thaw/freeze we had yesterday has left the side roads coated in ice. i could skate a couple miles from my house to the highway. today
when i left for work, there is a stretch of our road that is a bit higher because it kept getting blown in. the road surface is slick ice. i was going 30mph or less when i hit the ice, and lost control of the car. i steered toward the ditch and went on in. it was the only way to stop the slide, and i was headed toward a telephone pole. i walked home, called work, said i would be delayed, had my wife call a friend that has a winch who got me out. i took the truck into work. 15 mph is the safe speed right now.

keith
Old January 8, 2019   #2546
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Glad you are OK and "enjoying" the arrival of winter in the U.P. Ice can be no fun, however!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2019   #2547
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Glad you are OK and "enjoying" the arrival of winter in the U.P. Ice can be no fun, however!
Watching all my UP friends complain about the weather these last few days ... and I always remember the one time as a teen I tried to swim in Lake Superior in early June.
That did not last long.
Old January 9, 2019   #2548
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ice indeed... is the very soul of treachery. Always a big issue in our freeze-thaw see-saw winters.

We're having one of our all-season events tonight and tomorrow. Snow, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain eventually tomorrow, fog. Did I miss any form of precipitation? Wind, goes without saying. We only hope there will be enough rain and temps above zero to remove the slush before it freezes. No chance to shovel anything that changes overnight.
Old January 9, 2019   #2549
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Rxkeith, glad to hear you're OK.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019   #2550
bower
Tomatovillian™

+1 keith. Ice is no joke, especially when snow comes down afterwards.

We are coated in ice this morning both underfoot and the trees. Schools and govt are delaying opening until conditions change - expected to turn to rain by noon. This hasn't stopped several vehicles from sliding off the highway. Private industry is always last to recognize, when the weather is unfit you simply should close shop and keep your people off the roads!

In my community the council has finally gotten better about sanding/salting the roads after many years of complaints. You would literally take your life in your hands to get to the town limits, only to find bare safe roads everywhere else! Now it is a bit more even, but this morning it seems the ice is just too thick everywhere for a bit of salt/sand to clear it up.