Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2007   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine OTV Yellow??

I was going thru the tomato seed offerings on Ebay.de and came across this vendor that listed both OTV-Red and OTV-Yellow.Is there a yellow version of OTV or is this person trying to pawn off BWY as OTVY. Thanks, Ami.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Tomate-Tomaten-Sa...QQcmdZViewItem
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yellow Brandywine is a parent of BOTV but I'm not aware of any Yellow form of OTV. Just the red.
Old January 15, 2007   #3
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine OTV Yellow

Ami,
That Brandywine OTV Yellow being advertised is either 1) a fake as you suspected or 2) is an accidental cross or seed mixup. I have grown out the normal red-orange variety of OTV since Carolyn and Craig developed it many years ago and have never seen any other color except the red-orange one

No pics on the site so its difficult to ID by just a description. 3) A very, very long shot would be the genetic throwback to the yellow colored fruit. No matter how many generations the OTV was grown out, that yellow fruit color gene is still carried, although in increasing smaller percentages in the gene pool.

I had that happen in the F16 generation of Roughwood Golden Plum that I had grown out since the supposed stabilized F9 generation. RGP is an orange plum shaped variety from a deliberate cross of Yellow Brandywine PL and San Marzano a red, RL variety. In the F16 planting of RGP, 5 plants were the orange colored type and PL and 1 plant was the red color and shape of the San Marzano parent but PL instead of RL like San Marzano .

Of course it could be a genetic mutation, but the odds for that happening are greater than being struck by lightning or winning the Powerball Lottery!!

My motto for E-Bay purchases.... "LET THE BUYER REALLY BEWARE"

Best regards,
Bill Malin
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

If a yellow fruited variety were to emerge from OTV Brandywine, it would have to be stabilized and given a different name. since OTV BW did emerge from a cross in my garden involving Yellow Brandywine, it is possible (though highly unlikely) that someone hit the genetic jackpot and got something that was genetically like its parent, Yellow Brandywine. No conclusions could be made until it is grown out to look for stability, etc.

I think buyer beware is the absolute best advice!
Old January 15, 2007   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

"Jubileearentage: six-generation selection
from Tangerine x Rutgers cross ... "

I wonder how many red tomatoes they looked at
before selecting a gold tomato 6 generations out.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

All, Thank you for the replies. Craig I know it came out of your garden and was hoping you would respond. I don't buy seeds on ebay but like to peruse what is out there and this one caught my eye. Just out of curiosity I might go ahead and order it and ask the individual who his or her source for the seed was. I've got BOTV from TGS that I'm growing this year and might grow this one just to see what we get. Ami
Old January 15, 2007   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For those interested, when I started dehybridizing what we now know as OTV Brandywine I got plants that were RL and some PL.

I got RL plants that had yellow beefsteaks and pink fruited plants that were either PL or RL and the PL large red that I was after from the get go from the F2 seeds that Craig had sent me.

While I initially thought, as did Craig, that the other parent was a red, working out the genetics, which I've now forgotten, it could have been a pink as well.

And at the F5 generation all seed planted gave the large red beefsteak known as OTV Brandywine. I've grown it many times and saved seed many times and have never seen a yellow fruit appear. And I haven't heard of anyone finding a yellow fruit from it either.

However I do know of one circumstance, and this is a rare one, where a variety did once exist as both a red and a yellow. And that's the variety Green Gage, a very old pre-1800 one.

I was fortunate to see a somatic mutation of that, meaning the mutation was not in the seed DNA but in the plant celluar DNA and one branch of Green Gage, which should have yellow fruits, had red ones.

Now that I think of it, the same thing happened with Riesentraube in that it was one yellow fruit on a red fruited plant that gave rise to the variety Yellow Riesentraube.

Such somatic mutations, as with spontaneous DNA mutations, are almost always permanent heritable traits and no stabilization is needed.

I didn't check, but what was the leaf form on this supposed OTV Brandywine Yellow?.I don't have time to check it right now either. LOL
Old January 16, 2007   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn, always interested in your replies. Ami