Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 7, 2008   #1
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Default can anyone ID this squash?

I have a volunteer squash in a bucket, and it doesn't look like anything I've ever grown (so likely from a winter squash from the farm market, or from the local Oriental grocery). It looks like it's going to be a vining type, but the most conspicuous feature so far is that the leaves (about 5" across at this stage) are clearly mottled with white from the time they first unfold.
Yes, I know that squash hybridize if you look at them cross-eyed, being dependent on insect pollinators, but there's a fighting chance that whatever I have was grown in a substantial field of whatever, so I figured I'd let it live.

If anyone recognizes it, I'd be happy to hear suggestions. Types which I know have been in my kitchen include butternut, neck pumpkin (both tan, and cushaw), French and Australian pumpkin types, and kabocha (also the red Japanese pumpkin/squash).

Thanks - Robin
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2008   #2
macmex
Tomatovillian™

First suspect would be cushaw (neck pumpkin). These are c. mixta and often have that white mottling in the leaves. Some squash in the c. moschata clan also have this marking. So, it's possible that it be a butternut.

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote