Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 13, 2010   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Basic Information

I found this and thought it had some good info for some of the new folks and old hands so here it is

PS pay close attention to number 7 it is something Carolyn and some of the rest of us have been saying for years.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&ved=0CCEQFjAD&url= http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nysaes.cornell.edu%2Fpubs%2Fpress %2F2004%2F040727tomato.html&ei=-63ES7PlD4G78gbE4MybDw&usg=AFQjCNHNOSs0a9VcYZTcOMnq 8Mk7HGLuFw&sig2=U_mrB7P3eXyzWqQ8vf5NnA

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/ask/tomatoe_qa.html

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #2
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Thanks Worth, great article.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am totally ignoring #3 this year. Usually when I get too enthusiastic over a particular plant whether it be tomatoes or cucumbers nature usually puts the brakes on. One year I planted 50 Celebrity plants and two Big Beefs all but 2 of the Celebrities failed to produce for one reason or the other while the two Big Beefs made tomatoes all summer and til after Christmas.
I hope this will be one of those prime tomato years because I am experimenting with a lot of new varieties and hope they all get a chance to produce some fruit so I can cull down my seed collection to the ones that taste great and can produce decently in our heat and humidity.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010   #4
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I agree...#3 is blasphemy! Plant as many tomatoes as you can dig holes for! If you don't have enough room in the garden, start some SWC's! Don't have enough sunshine...know down a building or break out the chainsaw! Grew 50 last year and had more than you needed? Then 100 plants should be better this year!

Growing only enough plants for what you need...PHAH!

P.S. Other than #3...great link!
Old April 15, 2010   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I thought #3 was a little boozy too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #6
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Plant what I need...okay...that should be about 5 acres worth...especially if I'm making all my own tomato products (sauce, ketchup, etc).
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote