Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 10, 2010   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a "Who's Who" of Tomato Gardening out there?

I know that Tatiana has a lot of great tomato growers on her site with brief bio's of some of them. I was wondering if there was more out there about the "Heavy Hitters" of tomato gardening, heirloom collecting, new variety design and cross breeding, etc. Maye something like a "Hall of Fame" with the SSE folks, Dr. Male's, LeHoulier's, Kraft, Mueller, Goldman and others that have contributed greatly to making growing tomatoes as popular as it is today. I know they have this for Giant Pumpkin growers, but haven't found it for 'mater folks.
Old March 10, 2010   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntoften View Post
I know that Tatiana has a lot of great tomato growers on her site with brief bio's of some of them. I was wondering if there was more out there about the "Heavy Hitters" of tomato gardening, heirloom collecting, new variety design and cross breeding, etc. Maye something like a "Hall of Fame" with the SSE folks, Dr. Male's, LeHoulier's, Kraft, Mueller, Goldman and others that have contributed greatly to making growing tomatoes as popular as it is today. I know they have this for Giant Pumpkin growers, but haven't found it for 'mater folks.
You need to think better of your self, we are all heavy hitters.

Do you realize that we are probably only a fraction of a percent of the total population that does this sort of thing.

THINK ABOUT IT,

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntoften View Post
IN addition to Worth's comment, it isn't bios of great tomato growers that Tania has at her site, rather, for each tomato variety she describes she indicates where she got her seeds from, and many of them are not heavy hitters (???) and she also indicates the SSE code names of folks who grew the variety and what they had to say about it in their SSE listing for it in the SSE Yearbooks and I wouldn't consider all of them as what you call heavy hitters.

Sure, I could list for you who I think are heavy hitters, but I honestly don't know how I would do it b'c I don't know what a tomato heavy hitter actually is.

I could look in the SSE YEarbook and tell you those who list the most tomato varieties, but I don't think that's a fair way to do it, I could share with you those that do some darn good breeding of tomatoes, but that wouldn't do it either.

So I'll just go along with what Worth said and agree that there are one heck of a lot of tomato obsessed persons out there and not all of them even have computers so you'd know about them, and some have large tomato collections, and so there's no real way, in my mind, to designate who is a heavy hitter is as opposed to those who throw curve balls to heavy hitters.
Old March 10, 2010   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

All I will admit to is that I used to hit pretty well (in softball playing for my work league) - and I am getting heavier than I would like to be!
Old March 10, 2010   #5
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Ok..ok...ok!!! You guys crack me up! None of you want to take credit for the great things you do...maybe I'll have to go on an interviewing campaign one of these days and write that book! Maybe I could design some trading cards for tomato growers and genetic fanatics. Perhaps a pictorial calendar with "Farmer of the Month"

I guess I'm just doing anything I can to take my mind off the devastation damping off took on my seedlings this past week...I know I lost close to 500
Old March 10, 2010   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Question on the damping off - any thoughts of how/why it happened??
Old March 10, 2010   #7
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I think I kept them too cool and moist. My grow table is by my front door and catches drafts. The ones on the edges of the trays were affected most. I lost probably 8-10 varieties...I'm afraid to count the total devastation.
Old March 10, 2010   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

To me, the only "true" heavy hitter is the knowledge and experience of the folks who are here on this website. You can't buy this kind of help with our wonderful hobby/passion.

I agree with Worth. Anybody can be a heavy hitter for their location and their garden and their particular vegetable or fruit. Collectively, we all become heavy hitters for gardening because of the huge collective knowledge and experience base we have access to.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2010   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You have simply GAWT to let that surface dry out and use a 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts water spray on the soil and wee little plants to prevent damping off. REALLY, IT WORKS.

No way should you have had that many even in the cold my plants do well in 50 to 60 degree room temps with no damping off at all.

Neglect is the answer, neglect, let them dry out but not die.

Worth
Old March 10, 2010   #10
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

I've found a really great site that has about 4,300 tomato experts all unique in their own way. Each with a love and dedication to the tomato unequaled anywhere.

Here is the link:

http://www.tomatoville.com/
Old March 10, 2010   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyWil View Post
I've found a really great site that has about 4,300 tomato experts all unique in their own way. Each with a love and dedication to the tomato unequaled anywhere.

Here is the link:

http://www.tomatoville.com/
Looks to me like just one of many copies of Tomatoville.
They even have a guy like me there.

Worth
Old March 10, 2010   #12
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ronny,

Has Stringers and Dan West got any tomatoes in yet? One of my pilgrimages is to both of those on Poplar, and then to the Dan West out east, in your neck of the woods I believe.

What are you growing this year?

I'm down near Oxford, give me a shout.

Don
Old March 10, 2010   #13
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Worth - I'm sorry, but you can't blame any of the hilarity and absurdity you sow on some double out there.
More seriously, though, I think it's a shame some companies borrow, rename, and 'patent' known varieties as their own.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2010   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

When you get around to the list of Who's That?? I will still be trying to figure out how to grow tomatoes.
Old March 10, 2010   #15
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

Don,

I haven't been by either one lately but I thought I saw some plants today at Easy Way Produce in Bartlett. They most likely are Bonnie Plants. I like the Chef Jeff stuff because they have more heirlooms. I have seen them at Stringers in the past but I'm not sure about Dan West. I have seen them at Union County Co-op in New Albany. I haven't bought any there in two years because I've been growing my own.

This year I have 36 varieties started, 12 each, and most are up about an inch and a half. Hopefully they'll be ready by the middle of April.