Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2010   #1
Glenise Lee
Tomatovillian™

Default Blaby Tomato - Research

Hi,

I live in the UK. My village is planning a tomato festival later on in the year (if it ever stops snowing). It is my job to do an up-front story of tomato growing in the village. During World War 11, the only tomates that were available in the UK were those grown in my village, BLABY. The Blaby tomato was therefore quite famous.

I am trying to find out what happened to the Blaby tomato after the local tomato farms closed in 1947 when the government of the day forced the SHOULTZ family into liquidation.

I know that the seed tavelled to the States. I have seen it listed in an old cataloge. I also suspect that a representative of the Shoultz family might have emigrated. I have found the name on the Texas Food Directory, with the King Tom Tomato Farm.

It would help my story and thus the lead-in to the Festival if I can find out what happened to both the Shoultz family and the Blaby tomato after they were forced out of Blaby after the War.

If there is anyone with any snippet of information, I would be so pleased to receive it,

Thanks in advance,

Glenise
Glenise Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #2
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/conte..._feature.shtml

Contact email for seed at bottom
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #3
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately just snippets - but a wee bit

http://books.google.ca/books?q=blaby...G=Search+Books

The Commercial grower, Volume 105‎ - Page 127

Business & Economics - 1948

SALES BYJ^UCTION BLABY TOMATO NURSERIES, BLABY, nr. ... GF Shoults & Sons, Ltd.,
to sell the above by auction at the Blaby Tomato Nurseries on Monday, ...
Old February 26, 2010   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Glenise: This tomato has been discussed and grown by some folks that I know. Here is a blurb from Wikipedia. You may want to contact Russell Sharp. I may be able to put you in touch with someone that has seed, if you are interested.

Blaby Special – A red fruited cultivar grown in the village of Blaby in Leicestershire until just after World War II. It was the main tomato cultivar supplied through England during the war. The cultivar ceased to be cultivated when the Shoult's Tomato Farm was closed after the war. The cultivar was brought back into cultivation in 2006 as a result of a campaign by Russell Sharp of Lancaster University. It may have resulted from either a mutation or cross-breed of an older cultivar known as Anwell.
Old February 26, 2010   #5
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Default Blaby tTomato Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenise Lee View Post
Hi,

I live in the UK. My village is planning a tomato festival later on in the year (if it ever stops snowing). It is my job to do an up-front story of tomato growing in the village. During World War 11, the only tomates that were available in the UK were those grown in my village, BLABY. The Blaby tomato was therefore quite famous.

I am trying to find out what happened to the Blaby tomato after the local tomato farms closed in 1947 when the government of the day forced the SHOULTZ family into liquidation.

I know that the seed tavelled to the States. I have seen it listed in an old cataloge. I also suspect that a representative of the Shoultz family might have emigrated. I have found the name on the Texas Food Directory, with the King Tom Tomato Farm.

It would help my story and thus the lead-in to the Festival if I can find out what happened to both the Shoultz family and the Blaby tomato after they were forced out of Blaby after the War.

If there is anyone with any snippet of information, I would be so pleased to receive it,

Thanks in advance,

Glenise
Hi, Glenise,
I am afraid I can't help with any information about the tomato, Blaby. It looks as though you have some leads, though. It is good to hear from another UK member and I should love to know the date of your tomato Festival. I was brought up in Leicester but now live in Kent. Good luck with the research.
Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2010   #6
Glenise Lee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Unfortunately just snippets - but a wee bit

http://books.google.ca/books?q=blaby...G=Search+Books

The Commercial grower, Volume 105‎ - Page 127

Business & Economics - 1948

SALES BYJ^UCTION BLABY TOMATO NURSERIES, BLABY, nr. ... GF Shoults & Sons, Ltd.,
to sell the above by auction at the Blaby Tomato Nurseries on Monday, ...
Thanks. Most helpful,

Glen
Old March 27, 2010   #7
Glenise Lee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenise Lee View Post
Thanks. Most helpful,

Glen
Hopefully, the Festival will be held on Saturday, 28th August 2010.

Glen
Old April 4, 2010   #8
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Default Blaby Tomato Festival

Thanks for the date. We shall have to try and make that. I lived in Leicester for my first 11 years. It would be good to have e weekend back there.
Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2010   #9
Earl
Tomatovillian™

The name sounded familiar so I checked my files and found it listed for 2007. But no other info. I think I remember it being on end of row. Short determinate plant with 3-5 oz. red round fruit. Seems like fruit tasted ok but not remarkable. If I can find my notebook for 2007 I'll see if I jotted down any info on it and post it. I can't remember where I got the seeds.