Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 13, 2010   #1
tweetybaby2005
Tomatovillian™

Default Any hope?

I came home to a half chomped off plant. A few other plants in the laundry basket also experienced the same thing. They were done being hardened off. All plants were put on my outside deck, my eggplants were on the deck table (not affected - yet?). This Brandywine Sudduth's and laundry basket full of tomato plants of different varieties were on the floor of the deck. I did see a rabbit or 2 in our yard before (our deck is about 1 ~2 ft off the yard). Last year, quite a few of my chili pepper plants were mowed off by some bugs over night (I suspected cutworms) and they were also on the deck. But this year, only a few limps were chomped off, not the main stem so I'm not sure if it was cutworms, the rabbits (who was able to jump up on the deck or walk up the 3 stair steps on the deck), or what else.

Is there any hope of recovery? What caused this? How can I save my other plants? I really need help!

p/s sorry for the yellowing color. It was the light in my kitchen and camera.

Thanks.
Kuan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01119a.jpg (72.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01120a.jpg (68.4 KB, 38 views)
tweetybaby2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Rabbit is likely suspect. You need to put them up on a picnic table or inside a penned area. Cutworms usually come out of the ground...not potting soil.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #3
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Looks like the main leaders may have been damaged or eaten but a sucker should grow but the plants will be set back a few weeks for recovery.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

New growth will come from the crotch of the leaves sooner than you think,THEY ARE STILL YOUNG.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

From the looks of your photos, I'd also agree that they'll recover.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #6
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

I agree too.My last year in Ohio I was able to put my maters out early.Some Brandywine and Celebrity but a rabbit got to all the Brandywines and some of my Celebrity. Now I can tell ya most of my Brandywines looked even worse as some had no leaves But in time they got new growth and we got some good maters from them. So don't loose hope. They may look bad now but they will recover.Just keep doing what your doing and you will have a harvest. Hope the culprit had a tummy ache.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #7
tweetybaby2005
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the assurance. I was really heart broken when I saw the chomped off plants. Now all my plants are on the deck table and bench so the rabbits won't get to them. I did plant out 2 eggplants in their big pots yesterday and put a styrofoam cup collar around them. Hopefully it will help deter cutworms and I don't think the rabbit can get to them with the wire cage I put around the pots.

Now if mother nature will cooperate and continue with the warming trend, I'll be set and hopefully plant all my tomatoes out in a week or 2.

Kuan
tweetybaby2005 is offline   Reply With Quote