Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2010   #1
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Default Lucky Cross?

I sowed 7 seeds of Lucky Cross and got 100 percent germination. Three are potato leaf and four are regular leaf. Whats up with this? Is this normal? Which is the real Lucky Cross? I probably will plant one of each to grow but just wondered what to expect from each?
Anyone??
ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Potato Leaf is the correct version. If you have RL, then
you've either got a cross or stray seeds.....

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lucky Cross should be quite stable by now and show up as all PL (I sowed 100 of my saved seed this year and it came up all PL). What was your seed source?

As Lee said, Regular leaf plants are either stray seeds (another variety mixed in), or evidence of bee produced crosses. Grow them out only if you want to see what you get - but they will not be Lucky Cross.
Old April 15, 2010   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

I first grew Lucky Cross in 2006 from Victory Seeds and got three different results. One was a regular leaf vine with small, heart shaped, pointed, red fruit with green shoulders. Another vine was potato leaf with nice large gold bicolor, delicious tomatoes that were heavily blushed in red. The third vine also was potato leaf with large, 12 or 14 ounce, beautiful gold tomatoes with just a small red blush on the blossom end and not as much marbling as the other bicolor.

The tomatoes off the two correctly potato leaf vines were wonderful. The little pointed red tomato was nothing worth saving. I know the three different vines came out of the same package and were not strays. I didn't have anything else like any of those three vines in that garden as most of the other tomatoes were Cherokee Purple, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Brandywine, Big Boy, Better Boy, Big Beef and a few dwarf varieties. No hearts, no pastes and no small fruited indeterminates.

The Victory Seed item was packed for 2005, if that might make a difference regarding stability at that time.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Travis, sounds like Lucky Cross was still segregating a bit back then. The two PLs you got were probably fine - and the same - marbling can vary fruit to fruit, plant to plant. Clearly the other was a segregate. In retrospect, the sample was probably sent a few years prematurely to Mike back then.....also a testament to how long it takes to truly stabilize a new variety.