Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 8, 2010   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
I found 7 ft CRW at Border Construction for 100 ft @ $250.
That will make about 16 cages 2 feet wide at a cost of about $15.50 add to that the cost of a Tee post to keep them standing and ypou are very close to the price of Texas tomato cages that come in 2 parts can fold up don't rust and can be extended to 8 feet from 6 feet.

I personally don't see the logic price wise the labor or the functionality in using rusty CRW when you can get 12 cages for about $240 that are ready to go.

IF you order a lot of the cages you might be able to talk the company into covering the cost of the shipping, it never hurts to try to negotiate the price on things.

Most companies will sell something if they can still make a net profit.

I have talked the price of my house down 10K and a new truck back when the auto makers were doing good 6K.

I went from the price of 5 acres of land from 40K to 25K and sold it for 39K.

After I bought the 5 acres they had two more lots for sale at 40K a lot.

I told the salesman that they had already made their money and the few remaining lots were costing them money.
I told him I would do him a favor and take 2 lots off of his hands for 20K a lot.
He called me back that night and told me if I could get there in the morning he would go for it.
So I did and I did all of this with not one dime in my pocket.

All of these lots where going for 80K a lot not 6 months before I bought them.

All I did is watch and listen to what the guy had to say evaluate the situation the developer was in know how much their initial investment was and strike while the iron was hot.
To make things worse when the other home owners found out what I paid for my lots compared to theirs they blew their top.

To add coals to the fire I then told them what each one of their places were worth and how much they paid in taxes.

If you want to sale something for $100 then ask 300 for it.
if you want to buy something for $100 then offer $50
always make the other guy think he is getting the best deal and don't show your hand EVER
Even the big box stores will go down on their price if you go to the Pro desk and ask and buy in bulk.

All I am trying to say is shop around never give what the owner wants and negotiate till the cows come home.
I don't have a formal education but I was raised buy an old horse trader.
Remember every penny saved is a penny earned.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010   #17
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

What everybody else said plus two or three cement blocks to hold down the wire so when it gets cut the darned ends don't spring up and slice up arms, legs and anything else in the way.
Old April 8, 2010   #18
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I made a mistake, it was a 200ft long roll x 7ft high, for $250. So I think that is about $7 a cage.
I made my cages to be about 21 inches across.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010   #19
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I bought galvanized sheets the last time I made cages/panels/pens. I think they came out to around $3/plant on triangular and $4-something for round cages. That was about 6 or more years ago, pre Iraq War.

My buddy bought sheets last year and paid someone else to galvanize them and I think he said he has over $20 into each sheet now!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote