Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 20, 2012   #1
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Default Fafard Agro or Sunshine Mix

I have been using ProMix BX for my seed starting but am having a hard time finding it this time of year...

I found:
25 Ltr bags Fafard Agro Mix 6.99 3/20.00 (CAD$)
3.8cu ft compressed bales Sunshine Mix 29.99 each.

I would love to hear some opinions on which to buy.

I have searced the forums and found a couple of threads mentioning Fafard with good reviews & of course, lots with Sunshine Mix. Just wondering if anyone has used both & prefer one over the other.

Thanks!
Nicky
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sometimes I am forced to go with Fafard 2b (or maybe 3b) - but it is too chunky for my likings, so I prefer MetroMix 360 (5 big bags of it ready to go in my garage!). I like the finer texture and less chunks.
Old January 20, 2012   #3
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I have used Fafard and liked it. I mostly use Sunshine LC-1 and grow tomato plants commercially for the past 20+ years
Old January 20, 2012   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

wondering if that mix is different from 2b. When I do my transplants, the seedlings adjust much more quickly in the MetroMix than the Fafard - they just look awful for awhile, though they do eventually catch on....not sure what it means, but there it is!
Old January 20, 2012   #5
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm... I'm not sure wether it is different from 2b or not. The nursery just emailed me with the 2 names above. I will go and have a peek at the packages on the weekend. I will check which Sunshine mix (looking for LC-1), see if the Agro is different than the 2b and check around for some MetroMix!

The ProMix BX will be back in stock in May - a couple of months too late for most of my sowing.

Thanks Craig & DuckCreekFarms, I appreciate the answers!
Have a good weekend (and a lovely B-day Craig)!!!
Old January 20, 2012   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

nicky,

My son owns a garden supply store, and sells 10 times as much of Sunshine Mix #4 versus ProMix BX. I have been using it for the past 2 Seasons and am very pleased with it. Down here, it typically sells for about $38.00 per bale. If you can get it for under $30.00 in Ontario, that is a good deal. Besides, it is a CANADIAN product!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012   #7
salix
Tomatovillian™

Nicky, I use either Sunshine #4 or Promix HP (high porosity) with mycorrhizae, with just a shallow layer of a seedling (very fine) mix on top for starting seeds. When it comes time to potting up, I use either of the above mixed with homemade compost and worm castings.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2012   #8
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone...
I got the Sunshine Mix (Canadian eh)!
We had to chisel it off of a frozen pile at the nursery in order to purchase it... and now it is thawing in my garage... but in a few days I think I will be back in seed starting business!

Thanks for the tips & advice.