Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 14, 2012   #1
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Pot Luck Tomatoes

After the seeding frenzy the other night dealing with a couple hundred seeds going into my Parks Biodomes, I noticed that more than one seed had hit the floor. So, I swept the floor and planted the seeds, tracked in dirt, dog hair, and all straight from the dust pan into the pot, using the mass seeding technique. Now what look we got, but who knows which ones they are. It's Pot Luck.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2012   #2
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I've done something like that myself. When I save seeds, plant seeds, etc.. I oftentimes find a few spare leftovers. Rather than plant them right away, I have a seed pouch in my collection just labeled "Grab Bag" that I toss them in.

Every so often, when I'm starting seeds and I have one or two slots left over that I can't decide what to do with, I grab a couple seeds from the Grab Bag and start them. Always fun to see what comes up.
Old January 14, 2012   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

And if you find that you have no room for them to grow, you could always donate the seedlings to a church, or an assisted living community. Many of them now have resident gardens or kitchen gardens to grow organic veggies for the seniors! I am planning to do that myself this year!
Old January 14, 2012   #4
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
And if you find that you have no room for them to grow, you could always donate the seedlings to a church, or an assisted living community. Many of them now have resident gardens or kitchen gardens to grow organic veggies for the seniors! I am planning to do that myself this year!
I always give lots of seedlings away. Very rewarding indeed.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #5
luke
Tomatovillian™

Unless you have a ton of seeds, you'll start to figure out what plants you have when they start to produce.

Last winter I started my seeds with the help of my 6 and 3 yr old kids. They really got into it, and I had a makeshift grow set up in the utility room on a storage shelf about 5' tall. My little girl (the 3 yr old) demanded to see the seedlings as they grew, and one night as I had her in my arms, I set her down after she got a good look at them. She grabbed the bottom of the wood planks I had put under the starts as I set her down, and everything ended up on the floor.

She was more distraught than I was, and after consoling her for several minutes, I got everything as straight as I could and just rocked on. I had German Red Strawberries where I though I had Mule Teams, and a bunch of other mix-ups.

Given the heat and drought of last summer, it didn't really matter. And to be honest with you, at age two she loved to pick green tomatoes, so all in all it wasn't a big deal. We'll start round two soon, and try to have a more hands off approach after the kids get to start the seeds.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote