Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 27, 2011   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Antoniette, please check out the following link from here at Tville and it's one of the earliest links about Lisa, there's a more recent one as well, but this one has a nice flavor to it, if you will.

Amishland is not on the sticky list of suggested seed sites if you look in the Seed And Plant Forum Resource thread.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...mishland+seeds
Old October 27, 2011   #17
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I have often saved unknown store varieties.

I usually name them after the store and the type.

Such as my Aldi Orange Grape.

JMO,
Carol
hilarious... i was wondering why it was called that...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2011   #18
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Antoniette, please check out the following link from here at Tville and it's one of the earliest links about Lisa, there's a more recent one as well, but this one has a nice flavor to it, if you will.

Amishland is not on the sticky list of suggested seed sites if you look in the Seed And Plant Forum Resource thread.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...mishland+seeds

lol...colorful indeed. Well, I got sucked into the beans she was selling (didn't that boy Jack buy some beans too?). That was before I joined TV. I did find her website a bit odd, too many very rare only available here exclusive comments. But, the beans grew really well, very productive and were all she said they would be. No idea if they are named correctly, but I got em. They were expensive though but I bought the kool aid she was selling so it's my fault. I'm saving seed as we speak for next year

I did buy some seeds from Baker Creek, but didn't grow the tomatoes yet, so I'm hoping they are true seed. The squashes and other things were great though.

Tatania's is always great, and she is so helpful
Sample Seed shop is wonderful, Remy is very quick to respond to questions
Heritage Seed, just got my first order, very nice!
Heirloom Seeds, nothing grown yet
TomatoFest (I've read lots about this one on TV, and that's where the Tims Black Ruffles came from, we'll see what next year brings)
Victory Seeds, my dwarfs all came in nicely
Baker Creek, other veggies were true, didn't grow the tomatoes yet
SSE , didn't grow yet
Annie's Heirloom Seeds, good results
Seeds from Italy, not grown yet.

okay so that's 10 sources this year. I really need to stop buying seeds at this point and hopefully wont' be saving any more unknowns because I have 2 whites, 2 oranges, a calabash looking one and the unknown Noir wannabe right now and they are not in my plans for next year (except the one that could be ananas noir).
Old October 27, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think there are a few good ones that are missing from your list:

Glecklerseedmen , for some very rare hard to find varieties and I know you're new here but when several of us found out that Adam was reviving the business his grandfather started in the 40's I put up a wanted thread and scores of great folks here donated to Adam lots of new varieties, and did it a second year as well.

Sandhill Preservation with over 400 tomato varieties and all other veggies and fruits and has supplied Jere at Baker Creek with many varieties and is THE place to go for Sweet Potato slips and sells no tomato seed over two years old, as does Adam Gleckler and that's huge undertaking when you think of the growouts each year.

Then there's Jeff Casey who also posts here, his website is in the recommended sticky with lots of different tomatoes and lots of greens, etc.

Carol Knapp also posts here and has a good site.

Lee Goodwin also posts here and has a site, I think R and L seeds, also in the Seed Source Forum

Who have I forgotten?

I almost forgot. Are you ordering from the Public SSE catalog/website or are you an SSE member?

I can't see ordering from lots of places at the same time, well to start with maybe, so you might want to consider looking at prices for X amount of seeds, and then deciding if the seeds you get germinate well and turn out to be true, as well as customer service in addition/

Not all seed sites are considered equal in all of those variables, and yes, you heard it here first.

Whoops, I almost forgot Marianne Jones at mariseeds.com

OK,I give up b'c the names of several more just came to me such as TGS for both hybrids and OP;s, OK, I'll shut up now and go to bed as the snow wafts its way down gently.
Old October 27, 2011   #20
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Oh I have lots more things I want, just have to stop right now until I plant in Spring, or dig up more lawn ! I have bookmarked a few more websites that you mentioned above so I know where to look next ...

I did just subscribe to SSE as a member when I ordered a few seeds I didn't see anywhere else. But I'm eyeballing those beans now too .....

Oh no, is it snowing already out your way? crap. Only a matter of time before it hits here too. I have too many leaves to rake yet and the trees just don't want to let go of them fast enough this year. Usually the maples go first, and this year, it is still green..unbelievable.
Old October 28, 2011   #21
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have saved seeds from a tomato I bought this year from a local organic store ..reason..it was the biggest tomato I have ever personally held in my hand and this coincided with lloking for big tomato varieties for a challenge. I don't have a clue what it is.. I have simply marked it as "the huge unknown fron the farmers market!!" It weighed almost 3 pounds., so I will grow it this next year just for fun.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2011   #22
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Yes I have. I picked up a tomato from the Farmer's Market late in the spring. I could tell it was some kind of heirloom type and not a hybrid by its appearance. I decided to use it to test Craig's mass seeding technique and used all of the seeds, saving none. I didn't think it would be anything all that special. This thing is blowing away all of my other tomatoes in growth and fruit quantity. My only panic at this point is will they ripen enough for me to get mature seeds, as I planted them late for the fall crop. I definitely want this plant in my garden this spring. Praying for a late frost this year.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2011   #23
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have one I call "big blocky red" that I grow every year. When we harvested tomatoes one year, they went into pails to be brought in for canning. This one stood out from the others in the pails for meatiness, size, color and flavor. I saved the seeds, but know what variety it was. Will always be "big blocky red" to me.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2011   #24
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

I have one labeled Guntzviller's (after the farm stand it came from, in a plastic baggie, I think it was some kind of Brandywine, but man was it tasty...So yeah I had to keep a few seeds. I will never know for sure what it was, but good on a sandwich? Yup.
OtterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2011   #25
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

My unknown is coming in now. Here is the tomato, shown at 3 levels of coloring up, and leaves. Any guesses? They are about 4 inches across. The bushes are very prolific.

Side note, these are the result of my July experiment with Craig's mass seeding technique. I'd say for tomatoes, that was a whopping success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1625.jpg (121.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1626.jpg (134.2 KB, 20 views)
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2011   #26
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a potato leafed variety to me. That narrows it down.. some. Still tons to choose from though.