Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 28, 2012   #16
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

here is whats on tap for us

greens category

collards, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, swiss chard, lettuce, asian greens

legumes

peas, pole beans, some bush beans, and dry beans that are short season, favas

really want to have success with some melons, and watermelon. kinda iffy here but doable.

tomatoes of course along with peppers, and egg plant (another hit and miss crop here)

lots of garlic, and onions

raspberries, strawberries, and currants are on order

also ordering some apricot, plum, and cherry trees

can't forget carrots, and beets

several herbs that we use all the time.

thats about it for now. almost forgot potatoes

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #17
salix
Tomatovillian™

I am growing mighty weary of the snow, cold and blizzardy winds. But do have nearly all of my seeds lined up ready to plant in 2 or 3 or 4 months!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #18
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Only have a few tomato plants and peppers in the greenhouse but am going to start planting some things in the next few weeks.

Speaking of which, it was 95 degrees in the greenhouse the other day! I can't believe it's January.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #19
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default Some pics of what I'm growing!!

Hey guys, here's what's going on in my gardening right now. All is growing peacefully indoors under T8 fluorescents. They are all hardening off right now, except for some tender lettuce.

Everyone hardening off on a funny snowflake platter:

Renegade and/or tyee spinach:

colorful Bright Lights swiss chard seedlings:

Three dinosaur, or lacinato, kale seedlings:

Hibernating venus fly trap:

African Violet seedling I rooted myself:

Purple Petra basil:

Enjoy!!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #20
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I am going to start my Tomato seeds today..... peas are going in this week if the rain stops and broadies(fava beans) are in 3 inch pots

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #21
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Started half of my tomatoes on Monday this week. Another half will be going in next week.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #22
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Oh good we can compare.. XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #23
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

The only thing increasing in size in my garden is the amount of snow.
Old February 18, 2012   #24
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
The only thing increasing in size in my garden is the amount of snow.
Sorry, I feel for ya!

I'm still wondering about when to start my tomatoes. I certainly worry to much. My hoophouse tomatoes are started, I'm only growing a few in the hoophouse this year (last year it was a tomato jungle infested with disease and slugs! YUCK! )

I'll be growing tons of tomatoes in containers this year. I think I will plant the container tomato seeds soon (any suggestions?) and my main garden tomatoes in March sometime. You can plant container tomatoes earlier than normal tomatoes, right? I figure if it gets too cold I can move the containers into my hoophouse for a little while. Any suggestions, fellow gardening friends?

I'm super excited, I'll probably be planting my swiss chard, kale, and spinach seedlings out in the hoophouse today! I might even try a couple plants in my main outside garden, just to see what happens. My lettuce seedlings are growing nicely indoors, I'll start hardening them off soon.

I bought some pea/bean innoculant, and will try sprouting pea seeds indoors this year, and then placing outside because then I can get a super early start on peas! Peas grow great here, but I never get to grow beans because the peas produce almost all summer long, and I want to put the beans where the peas are. So. This year, I'll try to get the peas to hurry along so I can have beans!

Hows everything growing with you guys?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2012   #25
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Taryn,
Last year was my first year with a large garden here, and the plan I made totally went to h*ll in a hand basket when spring went into July. I ended up planting my beans near my baby blueberry plants because the peas didn't even start until the end of June, then went through September. I'm starting them earlier this year, under cover, and hoping to get a second pea crop started in August.

I'm planning another bed altogether for the beans. I was surprised how well they did, even though it wasn't hot. Once the beans died down, I planted beets there. the bunnies got most of them before I netted them, but I will have beets in the spring because they're already growing. This is the craziest weather to plan for, so I've given up. I just go out with some seeds, look at what looks like it's done, and count how many weeks I need, and have. No paper plan can keep up with the uncertainty. 'Go with the flow' is my mantra in the garden this year.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #26
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and herbs are all safely inside right now but the cool weather stuff is planted outdoors. I have:

Dutch Yellow shallots (usually I'd put these out in the fall but saw some at the garden center so decided to give a few sets a try in the spring)
Hailstone radishes
Burpee's Golden beets
Amish Snap peas
Fordhook Giant chard
Oakleaf lettuce
Copenhagen Market cabbage
Old March 18, 2012   #27
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

of course tomaoes tomatoes and more tomatoes lol but other favorites of mine are italin squash i even love using the squash flowers, cucumbers. pole beans,praprika and hot peppers,leeks , fava beans , peas variety of herbs,lots of different lettuces and kales. im trying celeriac for the first time dont know how it will do i want to grow great beets i never had best luck with them because of my stony soil i will try harder this year as i have a beautiful variety called chioggia that i hope will give ne delicious beets but who knows
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2012   #28
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Summer squash-probably trombocino which is new to me, along with costata romanesco and patty pan, which we grew last year and really loved. Going to also try a cushaw this year. Long beans-trying Chinese red, along with the asparagus beans that I've grown a couple of years. Will probably grow some pink eyes and red rippers again, although didn't get many last year.
Some Armenian and lemon cucumbers. They are much better n heat than other cucumbers. Lots of basil for pesto.
Going to try a little amaranth, malabar and New Zealand spinach. Figured the chickens can have it if we don't like it.
Okra, mainly for pickling and some grilled. I'm the only one who eats it.
Lots of peppers ( hot) and eggplant. Staples here for us.
Of course, the tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes for fresh, canning, cooking and drying.
Oh, I didn't count the winter garden and herbs. We have a ton of nice lettuce of different types right now. A bit of kale, wish we had more. Chard is just getting started, I planted some late this winter. Also, just bought some new chard, green sea foam and pink so will be planting in the shade, along with more kale.
I have some bunching onions, garlic and celery going. Celery is looking pretty good, although I haven't blanched it and probably won't. Spinach is the best ever.
My most exciting is my artichoke! I've never grown that before!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote