Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 23, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Okra growers

First time grower here as mentioned in a previous thread. Clemson spineless variety, only 5 plants, and have had very good success with it. Over 100 pods per plant at this point and the plants are in the 10-12 ft range. I have noticed that early on the pods could be harvested a little larger, ( 5-6 inch range) and still be pretty tender. As summer came on, they have gotten thicker and need to be harvested in the 3-4 inch range to remain fairly tender. I also started a couple plants of Emerald a few weeks ago, as they are advertised as being tender when harvested at a larger size, for comparison. The two varieties along with Cajun Delight I believe are the most popular at the local nurseries it seems. However, when talking okra with local folk, mainly older people that have grown or still grow okra. The variety most mentioned is Louisiana Green Velvet. They claim that it is the best with the pods staying tender even at larger size up to 7 or 8 inches, and is more slender than the CS that I am growing. I would love to hear more about the variety and okra overall from the TV bunch. I realize that there was a previous thread about okra, but that was a while back. So, lets hear from you okra fanatics!

Duane
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote