Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 14, 2017   #1
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Default Smoked Brisket

It's not easy to make, no Siree. I'll and tell you what I do to make it at least good.

Better Smoked Brisket:

1. Buy a good grade of beef. Prime if you can or at least high end choice.
2. Do the bend test on the brisket. Fold it half and see if it gives. If it bends easily that's good. It means the fat content is higher. Also inspect for streaks of fat...that's good.
3. Buy a smaller brisket like 9 to 12 pounds.
4. Open the package and trim only big, hard layers of fat. Leave most of the fat on the brisket. Trim sides if they look and feel mealy.
5. Dry the brisket with cotton towels. Completely dry it off, wrap in towels and place in frig for min. of 2 hours overnight is best.
6. Take brisket out of frig, and let it completely come to room temp. Trying to smoke cold meat is a time and wood waster.
7. Bring smoker up to 250-275.
8. Once the smoker is up to heat, salt the brisket. Pat the salt down on the meat lightly (no rubbing). The reason you salt right before you place brisket in smoker is to avoid the salt drawing out moisture from the meat. A wet brisket produces a barrier to the smoke and hinders the making of good bark.
9. Then sprinkle with a medium coarse ground black pepper or seasonings of your liking.
10. Immediately after seasoning, place the brisket in the smoker fat side down. The fat helps protect the meat from burning and drying out. In my opinion fat side up does not "baste" anything but the bottom of my smoker.
11. Smoke to internal temp. of 160 (let science work for you not touchy feely), then wrap in butcher or parchment paper. The butcher paper allows smoke to penetrate but allows the meat to breath. Wrapping in foil just turns the brisket into roast beef. Smoke until internal reaches 203.
12. Remove brisket from paper, place back in smoker for another few minutes to let the bark firm up some.
13. Wrap brisket in towels and place in cooler for 1 hour or so.
14. Remove point from flat with an angel cut down through the meat.
15. Cut meat 1/4 slices against or at a slight angel across the grain.
16. Eat....no sauce for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2712.jpg (403.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2716.jpg (467.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2718.jpg (503.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (491.8 KB, 132 views)
Old February 14, 2017   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Road trip!!!! That is some seriously awesome looking brisket. I am literately salivating, nice bark too!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #3
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #4
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_South View Post
It's not easy to make, no Siree. I'll and tell you what I do to make it at least good.

Better Smoked Brisket:

2. Do the bend test on the brisket. Fold it half and see if it gives. If it bends easily that's good. It means the fat content is higher. Also inspect for streaks of fat...that's good.
4. Open the package and trim only big, hard layers of fat. Leave most of the fat on the brisket. Trim sides if they look and feel mealy.
5. Dry the brisket with cotton towels. Completely dry it off, wrap in towels and place in frig for min. of 2 hours overnight is best.
6. Take brisket out of frig, and let it completely come to room temp. Trying to smoke cold meat is a time and wood waster.
8. Once the smoker is up to heat, salt the brisket. Pat the salt down on the meat lightly (no rubbing). The reason you salt right before you place brisket in smoker is to avoid the salt drawing out moisture from the meat. A wet brisket produces a barrier to the smoke and hinders the making of good bark.
9. Then sprinkle with a medium coarse ground black pepper or seasonings of your liking.
10. Immediately after seasoning, place the brisket in the smoker fat side down. The fat helps protect the meat from burning and drying out. In my opinion fat side up does not "baste" anything but the bottom of my smoker.
11. Smoke to internal temp. of 160 (let science work for you not touchy feely), then wrap in butcher or parchment paper. The butcher paper allows smoke to penetrate but allows the meat to breath. Wrapping in foil just turns the brisket into roast beef. Smoke until internal reaches 203.
12. Remove brisket from paper, place back in smoker for another few minutes to let the bark firm up some.
What time did you say you wanted us over there?..Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #5
matereater
Tomatovillian™

I'll bring the cole slaw !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #6
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

It's beautiful! My two favorite bbq meats are beef brisket and hot links. Good bbq is so expensive here.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #7
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_South View Post

Better Smoked Brisket:

smoked a lot of brisket, but never heard of parchment paper - interesting. always have used foil. looks tasty and love the bark. nom nom
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #8
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
smoked a lot of brisket, but never heard of parchment paper - interesting. always have used foil. looks tasty and love the bark. nom nom
Parchment is good if you don't have butcher. I've used it in the past with good results.
Old February 15, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

When I lived in Hyde Park in Austin many years ago I used to cook brisket in a big hole I dug in the yard.
I would fill it full of hardwood scraps from the cabinet shop burn it down to coals and cook away.
The last part was to wrap the brisket bury it in coals and walk away.
I have ate so much brisket in my life I am just about sick of it.
I like the big meaty beef ribs better.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh! That looks so good. In the winter, I braise my brisket in beer, but spring is around the corner and our smoker is ready. Oddly, it was about 80 degrees here on Sunday (yes, February!), and we smoked a turkey breast. Wow! Good stuff! But now after your pic I want that brisket!!!
Old February 15, 2017   #11
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Oh my gosh! That looks so good. In the winter, I braise my brisket in beer, but spring is around the corner and our smoker is ready. Oddly, it was about 80 degrees here on Sunday (yes, February!), and we smoked a turkey breast. Wow! Good stuff! But now after your pic I want that brisket!!!
Thanks. I pulled some out the freezer for tonight's meal. I'm making Thai smoked beef soup.
Old February 15, 2017   #12
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

South
Just pulled a pork shoulder off. A small 9 lb. that will last me a few days.
My wife eats very little and I find that pork has a much longer shelf life than beef.
I eat so little brisket that when I do it's a real treat. Your brisket looks far better than just good.

There is a small hole in the wall BBQ joint in St Louis named Bogards. Opens at 11:00 and burnt ends run out quick. I could live on their baked beans.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Looks really good! There are very few places that can do brisket justice, so when we go out for BBQ we usually go with ribs or pulled pork.

We also smoke ribs and pork here at home, but never tried smoking brisket. Around here beef brisket costs as much as, or more, per pound them some of the best steaks.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant remember ever BBQing a brisket growing up it was always corned.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #15
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Question for the texans here. theres a new bbq joint opening up nearby and as I understand it its a franchise from texas. Its called Dickey's Barbecue Pit. Curious if any of you have been there and if its any good ??

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote