Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old November 9, 2018   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Pathway Help Needed

First let me show you what I am up against then I'll post my questions.

This is one part of the yard that I have never been happy with, the garden path to the playhouse.
This path also has a secondary function. During heavier rains the water runs down this path to the yard drain, so putting down a mulch or wood chips is out. I definitely want to work on this project early spring.

I thought of a crushed stone but dont want it to get all over the yard and fight stuff growing up through the crushed stone and walking stones, plus I want to keep it more Permaculture friendly.

I tried white clover but it did not do well.
I was very interested in a extremely low ground cover like moss but not sure if moss would do good in this area.
The area gets a lot of water and and sun from early noon till end of day.
The dogs may occasionally pee on it too...dam dogs
I am in Zone 7a

It doesn't need to be an edible or flowering but those would definitely be bonuses, especially if it flowered.

I like this look

https://hips.hearstapps.com/clv.h-cd...p&resize=768:*

I checked out Steppables.com but want advice from you folks.

Steppables

Last edited by SQWIBB; November 9, 2018 at 09:10 AM.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

My first thought is a "French Drain" running from the yard drain as far as you want back toward the Playhouse or even beyond. This would keep the area much drier overall and your choices of what to put down for the walkway increases. I would put down larger flat/flag stones set into the surface area above the French Drain. The picture you referenced in your first link above would be very possible. If there is water coming from more than one source, branches off the French Drain would make it easy to capture this additional water intrusion.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #3
oldman
Tomatovillian™

As a path alternative, how would you feel about a deck made of 2x2 square pallets?

They'd be small enough you could stack them to mow or weed, they'd let you avoid the step up and down when entering or exiting the playhouse, and you wouldn't need to put off starting until spring since they're modular, weatherproof, and easy to install. If you didn't want to spring for the pricier, but more durable, deck woods you could go with 4x4 and 2x4s and stain and seal each pallet. Bright colors optional. An even cheaper option is to find someone needing old fencing or decks removed and offer to help in exchange for any material you can salvage. Your "deck" could be extended over time to cover the old path completely. And a bench or windowbox with Matt's Wild or some other small, bright cherry tomatoes in pots would give the kids some garden space of their own.

Last edited by oldman; November 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #4
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I definitely want the rocks to stay. I'll be making the path a bit wider and pulling the path about 8" away from the playhouse, so when I do that I want to knock it all out at once and get something growing between them.
The path needs to stay flush with the ground so no one breaks an ankle.

I get a lot of use out of this little tiny yard, especially on Manday!

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #5
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Would have to agree with Ted, a "French drain" with stepping stones to walk on would be my choice also. Lots of suitable plants for filling in your " Stepables " link.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #6
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Cooker looks awesome.
Did you fab it yourself?
Nothing like cooking over wood/charcoal.
Sorry cant help with the path.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

If you try to put a Steppable or similar low-growing plant between your bricks, you will spend your life trying to weed out grass and weeds. Make the bricks flush with the ground and let the grass grow in the interstices and just mow it.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Squibb, ran across this offer, which could make a path cover thick enough to choke out anything else. 9,250 seeds for $4.25:
http://www.cheapseeds.com/9250-Creep...s-p-10131.html

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018   #9
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I have some creeping thyme at the edge of one of my beds and it smells great and does choke out most other plants HOWEVER it is taller than your stones and would lay over them. It also spreads pretty rapidly.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2018   #10
PlainJane

SQWIBB, I’ve used 2 stepable ground covers - lime thyme and trailing oregano. Both needed only an occasional clipping otherwise no care. The larger problem is grass infiltration, so if it’s me, I’m digging out that pathway, edging it, re-setting the stones ... then interspersing the stepables.