Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2010   #1
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default "Andes" Tomato

I'm trying out "Andes" seeds from Tomatofest this year. I've googled of course, and I haven't found much information on it other than this, "5x2 inch pepper-shaped fruit. Meaty with few seeds and rich flavor." I also found a few blurbs about the skins being especially easy to remove for processing. Sounds like a sauce tomato to me. But I'm wondering about production. Is it a productive tomato plant? Has anyone grown it that can speak from personal experience?

Thanks!

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2010   #2
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I grow this tomato every year, it is a superb paste tomato, one of the best for flavour. Yields have been hit and miss however, but that is probably because it is quite a long season tomato for my climate, so a bad season has a heavy toll on it. In a good year it is a heavy yielder.

Saving seed is a pain, it sometimes has no viable seed in a ripe fruit, or just a few. Juice is normally entirely absent, with empty cavities instead, but not a stuffer, as these cavities are tiny.

The fruit can be very large, the largest fruit I have seen that are not a beefsteak, and sometimes exceptionally pepper like in appearance.

Last year one of my Andes threw out a large oblate fruit at the end of a truss on a plant otherwise covered in typical fruits, was quite a surprise.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2010   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I believe this tomato is also known under these names:

Des Andes
Andine Cornue
Poivron des Andes
Cornue Des Andes

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #4
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reminder Tania. I looked up those names too. I have not found much more information on production.

Frog-thanks for the input! That is all good info. Hoping for a good tomato year as usual so I can get some good yields!

From what little info I can find, it does not sound like it is a very productive tomato unfortunately. I am growing it this year. Funny thing, every single seed I started, germinated! I will not be able to grow all of them due to limited space, and now I'm trying to figure out how much garden space to devote to this one. By all accounts, it is good tasting, but not very productive.

Any additional information anyone can give me is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Jen
Old April 13, 2010   #5
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I should just mention that my seed were oiginally obtained under the name of 'Andine Cornue' from a French seedsman.

I've been meaning to use this tomato in a cross for a while, but keep failing to get around to it. I'd like it a bit earlier to fruit.
Old April 13, 2010   #6
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Can you tell me about the plant habit, Frog? Is it a big bushy thing or small and spindly? or....?
Old April 13, 2010   #7
Frog
Tomatovillian™

Fairly typical indeterminate tomato plant really, on the larger side. I prune, because of limited space, so I can't tell you what they're unmolested growth would be like. It's a thick stemmed RL which sets plenty of leaves, which tend to grow downward so provide plenty of shade for the fruit. Smells heavenly.

I really need to keep better records, any records to be honest, then I could tell you so much more.
Old April 13, 2010   #8
jhp
Tomatovillian™

That helps! Thanks again Frog!

Jen
Old April 14, 2010   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Jen,

I gave a cross-town gardener Andes Horn several years ago. He has it in his garden every year, as it's his favorite tomato. Each year when I visit, his plants are large, and loaded with fruit.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010   #10
jhp
Tomatovillian™

That sounds promising Gary. Thanks.
Old April 16, 2010   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing one called Andes Horn since 2005. It's a huge plant with red fruit that resembles a fat banana pepper. Fruit taste, exceptional with high fruit production. Has few seeds. Great for canning as well as fresh eating. I should have some pictures somewhere of fruit and plant. I'll come back and post them If I can find them.

search Andine Cornue using Google Images
Old April 18, 2010   #12
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Earl. I'm looking forward to growing it.

Jen
Old December 16, 2010   #13
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
Thanks for the info Earl. I'm looking forward to growing it.

Jen
Jen, how did the tomatoes turn out? I have it on my list to grow in 2011.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2013   #14
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I would also like to hear opinions and experiences about this variety. The seeds are now available from a Scandinavian seed company and I was wondering, if I should grow them instead of Opalka. I have limited space in the greenhouse, so I'm trying to keep my variety list as small as possible and grow only one of each type.

Sari
Old January 1, 2013   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
I would also like to hear opinions and experiences about this variety. The seeds are now available from a Scandinavian seed company and I was wondering, if I should grow them instead of Opalka. I have limited space in the greenhouse, so I'm trying to keep my variety list as small as possible and grow only one of each type.

Sari
Sari, in order to do a direct comparison be sure to grow both in the same season so the plants are treated equally to everything.

Carolyn