Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2023   #16
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Paul, which hearts or blacks are you looking for? Maybe I can help.

I think Tastiwine sounds amazing @Fusion_power. I tried to grow Heshpole two seasons back but my seeds weren't true as I got all RL.

SO now Tastiwine and Lynnwood..what else should I add to my 2024 grow list?! Ha!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2023   #17
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Paul, which hearts or blacks are you looking for? Maybe I can help.
Thanks, but there are more than fifty hearts and blacks in inventory not yet tried in my gardens. When I read about some special varieties I just can't help myself.
Old March 28, 2023   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Thanks, but there are more than fifty hearts and blacks in inventory not yet tried in my gardens. When I read about some special varieties I just can't help myself.
I did that for about 15 years but about five years ago as age started catching up to me I started seriously cutting back to the varieties that are our favorites. I cut out a lot of the black varieties that were more prone to gray mold or weren't as tasty or dependable in our growing conditions. I have settled on just a few that I plant each year Spudakee, ISPL, and JD's Special C Tex. I am a recovering tomato addict but I still plant way, way too many of them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2023   #19
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I did that for about 15 years but about five years ago as age started catching up to me I started seriously cutting back to the varieties that are our favorites. I cut out a lot of the black varieties that were more prone to gray mold or weren't as tasty or dependable in our growing conditions. I have settled on just a few that I plant each year Spudakee, ISPL, and JD's Special C Tex. I am a recovering tomato addict but I still plant way, way too many of them.

Bill
Sounds familiar. I tried to give away a bunch, and did, about a hundred from inventory. Since then about twenty have been added back. Next winter another hundred have to go. My goal is fifty varieties on hand all of them favorites. Now you guys have to stop enabling me with good ones to try.
Old March 29, 2023   #20
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

There is a problem. The goal posts move. Just when you think you are getting ahead of the curve, someone figures out a way to make your life more complicated.

https://academic.oup.com/hr/article/...0574-3/6446697
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2023   #21
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Two minutes into reading the abstract I reverted to my college days and fell asleep.
Old March 30, 2023   #22
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

That's not reversion. It's old age creeping up. The older you get, the easier it gets to fall asleep. Pretty soon, you fall asleep and don't wake up. Then they cover you up. Permanently.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote