Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 17, 2018   #16
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I don’t wish to jack Steve’s excellent season review thread. I’m happy for the interest though! Check my true north or KARMA project threads or pm me
Back to Steve’s garden

K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018   #17
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all for sharing these reviews. This is the way I try to further my tomato education. Interesting that there were two reviews stating Jaune Flamme was tart. I grew it this year for the first time and there was never any tartness, it was somewhat sweet. I guess if I had picked it before it turned to a gold tint it may have been tart. I did notice it does not keep long. Two days and it had better be eaten. One of my wife's favorites.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018   #18
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Steve-thanks for the really informative review of your year. A question-how does your potato leaf indian stripe compare to GGWT in terms of taste, size and production? I grew two GGWT this year and it really rocked here in extreme Denver. Lithium Sunset was another surprise standout.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018   #19
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Steve,
Was your Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi a wispy plant, like it had heart characteristics? Mine is this year and not performing to the information on it. I heard the real Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi was not a wispy plant. I have since order seeds from 2 other sources so I'll see how that goes next season. You are at least the 4 person raving about it! I want to see those results myself!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2018   #20
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Steve-thanks for the really informative review of your year. A question-how does your potato leaf indian stripe compare to GGWT in terms of taste, size and production? I grew two GGWT this year and it really rocked here in extreme Denver. Lithium Sunset was another surprise standout.
ISPL has an edge in yield, and GGWT has an edge in taste. I wouldn't be without either of them. (Some GGWT were larger.)

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2018   #21
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
Hi Steve,
Was your Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi a wispy plant, like it had heart characteristics? Mine is this year and not performing to the information on it. I heard the real Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi was not a wispy plant. I have since order seeds from 2 other sources so I'll see how that goes next season. You are at least the 4 person raving about it! I want to see those results myself!
Sue
My AO has regular leaves, though they my be a bit narrower than some. The fruit is beefsteak.

Steve
Old August 24, 2018   #22
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply Steve. I am going to have to try both next year!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2018   #23
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Jaune Flamme correction

It has become evident that I didn't wait long enough for Jaune Flamme to fully ripen. When it is a bright deep orange, it's excellent, and it will be returning.

Steve
Old August 26, 2018   #24
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear, Steve! I will grow some JF next season, God willing.. It has been away for way too long! (four years to be exact..)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #25
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Last year we had a dismal season – cold and wet, with overnight lows consistently under 50°F. I decided I would only plant cold-tolerant early varieties outside. This year we had record setting heat and drought from May through July, with daytime highs hovering just under 90°F. I’ve never had to water so much. In the first week of August, suddenly: highs of 70°F and nighttime lows of 44°F.
In the greenhouse, yield from some varieties was limited by blossom drop. Outside, some varieties suffered from the heat.
I don’t keep records of yield and weight, so the following review is based on my impressions. NR= not returning

The following were grown in containers in the hot greenhouse:
Maglia Rosa dtm: 50, good yield, I know this one’s popular, but the taste wasn’t there for us NR
KARMA Pink dtm:59, good yield, these really do taste like great late season beefsteaks when fully ripe.
Indian Stripe Potato Leaf dtm: 60, excellent yield – just keeps churning out fruit, meaty with excellent taste. Every year! (compact plant)
Girl Girl’s Weird Thing dtm:66, excellent yield, outstanding taste, a great variety!
Not Purple Strawberry dtm: 72, good yield, taste similar to ISPL, but not as productive NR
Bulgarian Triumph dtm: 74, average yield, average taste NR
Not Vintage Wine dtm: 76, very good yield, meaty, rich and delicious taste! Outstanding, the year’s greenhouse winner!
Copper River dtm: 76, set lots of fruit, but many shriveled due to 1 late watering(?). Delicious and beautiful. Will try again.
Cherokee Green dtm: 80. Poor yield. Delicious taste – sweet and spicy, but back to Green Giant next year – comparable taste, far better yield.
Orange Jazz dtm: 85 mediocre yield, uneven ripening – ½ ripe, ½ green. Ripe parts – excellent taste. NR
Rosado de Ayerbe dtm:90, good yield, beautiful, slightly ribbed big beefsteaks, taste – the essence of “tomatoness”, a favorite!

The following were grown outdoors (CG=container grown):

CG Belyi Naliv dtm: 52, very good yield, good taste, but thick-skinned. NR
Carbon Copy dtm: 53, excellent yield, great sweet snacking variety!
CG Jaune Flamme dtm: 54 days, excellent yield, very good strong taste, but too tart for our liking. NR
CG Karma Pink dtm: 57? I’m not sure what’s happening here. Sprawling plants loaded with fruit, but only one ripe after 74 days.
CG Sakharnyi Pudovichok dtm: 59, mediocre yield - but this one’s produced loads in cooler years. I think it hates the heat. Excellent balanced taste. It will return!
Yamal dtm: 60, good yield, very good balanced taste, but they all have (some deep) radial cracking. NR
CG Gregori’s Altai dtm:64 days, very good yield, taste on the tart side for us. NR
CG EM-Champion dtm: 65 days, excellent yield of pretty hearts, delicious taste leaning toward sweet.
Break O’day dtm: 65 days, good yield, good taste, but couldn’t compete with EM-Champion. NR
CG Zolotoe Serdtse dtm: 66, very good yield (beautiful persimmon-colored hearts), we tried them in all stages of ripeness, they stay hard and taste like bitter unripe green bell peppers, nasty – our only spitter. NR!
Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi dtm: 72 days, excellent yield, meaty with surprising outstanding taste – sweet with notes of apricot and spice. The season’s outdoor winner!
Tarasenko Rozovyi none ripe yet at 74 days…

But who knows how these outdoor varieties will do in a normal Norwegian summer?

Steve
Does your Orange Altai have finely cut leaves like some oxhearts & paste types or wilty gene plants?

ALSO, did your Jaune Flamee have darker insides, quite noticable?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #26
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
Hi Steve,
Sue
I'm only growing 1 plant and mine is wispy too...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018   #27
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Does your Orange Altai have finely cut leaves like some oxhearts & paste types or wilty gene plants?

ALSO, did your Jaune Flamee have darker insides, quite noticable?
Here's Tatiana's description of Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi: “Indet., regular leaf plants. Large bright orange beefsteak fruits, 8-12 oz, meaty, with small seed locules. Outstanding flavor. Not many seeds.”

Mine has narrow regular leaves, and has been somewhat droopy, but I thought that was due to the heat and drought we had, and constant need for watering. Whatever it is, it's one of the best varieties I've tasted.

My Jaune Flamme are just a bit darker in the center.

Steve
Old August 28, 2018   #28
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Appreciate the review! Helpful to make my own plans for next year.
As to regards to AO I too had regular plants with beefsteak fruit, grown last year, did not have this year. Will be back for next year.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2018   #29
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Appreciate the review! Helpful to make my own plans for next year.
As to regards to AO I too had regular plants with beefsteak fruit, grown last year, did not have this year. Will be back for next year.
I have really appreciated your reviews, Lindalana. As a matter of fact, I grew AO largely due to your positive comments, and I certainly haven't regretted it.

Steve
Old December 13, 2018   #30
MdTNGrdner

I know this is an older post but thanks for posting, Steve! I have been out of circulation on Tomatoville this summer/ fall and just now having some time to catch up. I love reading these reports! This summer we grew GGWT and now I want to try ISPL