Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 13, 2018   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Amethyst not turning red

I'm growing Amethyst bell peppers for the first time. They are healthy and absolutely loaded with beautiful purple peppers which I was expecting to turn red. When I investigated just now, it turns out that two peppers have rotted without turning red, and another looks as if it is turning brown, not red. There is no disease or insect damage and the leaves look healthy and dark green. Could this be due to the very hot weather we've been having? I thought peppers liked the heat.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I found the solution and it isn't Amethyst's fault. They were doing really well until we had a big dump of 2" of rain in just a few hours (along with some hail), and now many of my bell peppers are rotting

I'll just have to hope for better luck (and no severe storms) next year...….

Linda
Old August 23, 2018   #3
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

My Amethyst plant is still producing after being sowed in October. It takes awhile for the peppers to turn red, but they are actually much cooler as purple. They are turning red much sooner now since it is hot and humid. I moved my pepper plants under my mango tree to give them some relief.

For a red sweet pepper, there are others that taste better.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Thanks for mentioning that there are better red sweets. What are your favourites?

I quite like Lipstick. They are small enough that at least I get a few before the frost hits. I tried growing Mira and Ajvarsky this season as I heard that they were good, but I'm not having a good pepper year and doubt I will get any red samples from them .

Linda