Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Week Ago   #8581
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
My best friend had a sugar glider for years before it passed away. Whenever I was at her home the sugar glider came out and sat either in my hand or on my shoulder for at least a short time..each time I was there. I wanted them when I was still at my parents. Daddy never would let me have one, worth. We also have a turtle, fish, guinea pigs, a parrot, hermit crabs, and 2 bearded dragons as pets along with the dogs. I've mentioned what we consider farm animals in other threads and probably in this one as well...chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, and the latest are quail and pheasants.
Next to sighthounds, the most fun I had was with a pet fennec fox. Part cat, part dog; in a pint sized flavor. Spry mischievous little thing.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8582
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I stopped off at the store yesterday and got clam chowder for something to eat after work.
I was so tired and worn out.
I notice something different about the stuff but ate it anyway not caring at the time.
It didn't taste or look like clam chowder.
Walking zombie mode I was in.
After eating it I looked at the can because it was so strange and un-chowder like.
Turns out I accidentally got a can of pub style chicken pot pie.
I was so tired I let my mind tell me it was calm chowder.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #8583
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Here in the past few weeks work schedules have changed for my wife. Some days she gets home around 4pm and other days around 7:30pm. Our DIL has a job and she seems to like it - it has her working until 8 or 9pm five days a week. Our son goes to electrician's school two nights a week after work and gets home around 10pm. The grandchildren start telling me they are ready for dinner around 5pm.

So that means I need cheap eaten meal ideas that can be served whenever that person gets home. Cold foods are a start. Salads can be prepped earlier in the day and refrigerated. That includes vegetable salads, pasta salads, meat salads, pimento cheese, etc.

I'm slow cooking a pork roast with carrots, potatoes, green beans, and onions today. A slow cooker is a wonderful kitchen appliance. People can eat whenever they get home.

I know there are a lot of other things to cook in our situation, but that's all I've thought of so far.
Old 5 Days Ago   #8584
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

I'll pass on the chicken pot pie soup.

But I'm with Worth1 on the smoker, it's one of those set it and forget it things. My time in Texas made me really appreciate good bbq. Never thought the cheapest cuts would be so tasty until I had "proper bbq."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Here in the past few weeks work schedules have changed for my wife. Some days she gets home around 4pm and other days around 7:30pm. Our DIL has a job and she seems to like it - it has her working until 8 or 9pm five days a week. Our son goes to electrician's school two nights a week after work and gets home around 10pm. The grandchildren start telling me they are ready for dinner around 5pm.

So that means I need cheap eaten meal ideas that can be served whenever that person gets home. Cold foods are a start. Salads can be prepped earlier in the day and refrigerated. That includes vegetable salads, pasta salads, meat salads, pimento cheese, etc.

I'm slow cooking a pork roast with carrots, potatoes, green beans, and onions today. A slow cooker is a wonderful kitchen appliance. People can eat whenever they get home.

I know there are a lot of other things to cook in our situation, but that's all I've thought of so far.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #8585
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The chicken pot pie soup was a little strange to say the least.
What I miss about Texas is we have lost so many one off comfort food restaurants.
You can eat just so much barbecue and Mexican food.
To me the old time comfort food chicken fried steak and so on is part of my heritage.
Worth
Old 5 Days Ago   #8586
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

soups are usually inexpensive.
a favorite is senate bean soup.

1 lb navy beans
10 cups water divided
1 small ham hock
1 large onion chopped
2 large stalks celery
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup parsley chopped
1 tsp each of salt, pepper, basil, oregano
1/2 tsp nutmeg grated
1 bay leaf

soak the beans overnight in 6 cups water or do quick soak.
next am add 4 remaining cups water, ham hock, bay leaf and pepper
to the pot. bring to boil. cover and simmer for 1 & 1/4 hour.
stir in remaining ingredients and cook 20-30 minutes until veggies are tender.
take out ham hock, and debone the meat. add meat back to pot.
eat soup.

couple notes here.

joy of cooking recipe calls for a large potato finely chopped.
i like potatoes, so i add it to the soup.
you can also use a potato masher to smash up some of the beans to add texture
to the soup before serving.
i like to use ham shanks instead of hocks. the shanks tend to have more meat on them
and the meat is more tender than the hock.
if you are going to make soup, you might as well make at least a double batch
if you want left overs or depending on the number of people in the household.

i got the ultimate compliment from a church member when i brought the soup in for potluck after service.
the guy is from bulgaria. he said the soup was like back home.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #8587
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

U.S. Senate bean soup is served at the senate cafeteria every day and at the visitors center too.
I would substitute mayocoba beans myself.
Worth
Old 4 Days Ago   #8588
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Salt, your post about your family makes my heart smile! My suggestion...fix enough of whatever you're making for you, jan, and the grandbabies for their mom & dad, too. They can heat it up when they get home or eat it cold. I certainly did that many nights after a day of work and school when I was bone tired and thinking nothing but bath and bed when I got home.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #8589
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I made a hamburger helper type thing out of ground chuck Alfredo sauce and shell pasta.
Turned out pretty good took a few days to finish off.
Worth
Old 3 Days Ago   #8590
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just made a pint of my quick and easy pickled beets.

Drained and drank juice from canned beets.
Brought 100% 5% cider vinegar to boil with my amount of sugar and some cloves.
Poured into pint jar with drained beets put lid and ring on let cool and refrigerate.'
Easy and cheap like 70 cents maybe.

Used to di it with beets from the salad bar at work.
Worth
Old 3 Days Ago   #8591
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I splurged.
But still way cheaper than a steakhouse.
IMG_20190418_6524.jpg
Worth
Old 3 Days Ago   #8592
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

that looks awesome, worth! we're supposed to wake up to t-storms in the morning and I have no idea what's for supper...been in a bit of a food funk...
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #8593
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
that looks awesome, worth! we're supposed to wake up to t-storms in the morning and I have no idea what's for supper...been in a bit of a food funk...
Thanks.
Tonight it is Cornish game hen and cornbread stuffing.
If I get home in time.
If not it will be the other half of that rib eye steak.
Worth
Old 2 Days Ago   #8594
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

We will be feeding a large group on Easter sunday. We live in the country so we have a large area to hide Easter eggs for the kids. We will provide hamburgerrs, hot dogs; and hot links on the grill.

I will cook a large pot of pinto beans (about six cups of dried beans) in my instant pot. My pot cooks them perfectly. I like them well cooked to a soft texture with seasonings, but no meat. I once tried a recipe which called for crushed corn chips (masa) to thicken the the bean soup. They were horrible. The masa really distracted from the taste of the beans. Now I let the beans thicken themselves.

My body weight was up to 209 lbs. about one month ago. My preferred weight is 200 lbs. I've been eating a lot of pinto beans for the last month and not eating a few things and weighed 199 this morning. My wife gets angry at me. She claims I only need to think about losing weight and the lbs. melt off. I tell her I lose most of my weight while I am asleep and dreaming about working out. In reality, the beans do most of the work.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #8595
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Salt, your post about your family makes my heart smile! My suggestion...fix enough of whatever you're making for you, jan, and the grandbabies for their mom & dad, too. They can heat it up when they get home or eat it cold. I certainly did that many nights after a day of work and school when I was bone tired and thinking nothing but bath and bed when I got home.
Thank you I do know what you mean. As a bricklayer/stone mason - you actually look forward to the short daylight days of winter. Summer which is the other 10 months in Texas is a different story
There are some meals that taste better when served right after cooking them. We're in the process of sorting those meals out. An example is chicken fried steak - it tastes better right after it is cooked. VS beans and soups that taste better when warmed up later.