Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2017   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilting, on otherwise very healthy plants

Anyone here grow 'Bison'?

I have read here, where a wilting appearance is characteristic of some heirlooms. Is this a characteristic of Bison variety?

I planted Bison determinate tomatoes for the first time ever. All 7 plants are thriving!
One is in a raised bed with other indeterminate types and doesn't show the same trait.

There are not signs of insects, disease or lack of nutrients

Six are in kitty litter containers with a good mix a purchased bags of soil mix specific for containers with moisture pellets and added homemade compost and vermiculite.

The 6 in the containers are showing a leave curl or wilting but are very hardy, healthy and producing flowers and tomatoes. Shoot, I should have taken a picture. They have been well watered and the appearance of the curling doesn't change when watered like a thirsty plant.

Since the container planted tomatoes don't have access to the natural soil as the raised bed planted 'maters, I added some all purpose 10-10-10 fertilizer today. But the leaves are really looking good.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Here is what tatiana has to say:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bison

Zeroma

Last edited by zeroma; June 29, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #2
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I got my answer from another favorite group: it is normal physiological leaf curl due to cool night time temperatures. Yup, we dipped down to 54 degrees so it makes sense.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/vege...curl-on-tomato

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote