Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 19, 2011   #16
kerry.heafner
Tomatovillian™

BigBrownDogHouse, her name was spelled "Bee," not "Bea." (NC native and TAGS connoisseur, here).

It's somewhat of a comfort to see all this about Mortgage Lifter. It makes me wonder whether or not it's really a genetically stable variety. It was my first casualty this year in the heat and humidity of northern Louisiana. It just didn't cope. I doubt I'll try it again. Neat tomato with an even neater story, but just not worth the effort here.
Old June 19, 2011   #17
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry.heafner View Post
BigBrownDogHouse, her name was spelled "Bee," not "Bea." (NC native and TAGS connoisseur, here).
Sorry...I'm a bit of a TAGS nut too. Have the first five seasons on DVD. Must have had a brain cramp. My goof....
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2011   #18
tedln

BigBrownDogHouse,

I don't remember the episode where Barney was giving Aunt Bee's pickles away. If I ever do the Barney thing in a Walmart parking lot, I will of course keep my only bullet in my shirt pocket. I would only put it in my gun if someone rudely refuses my free tomatoes. By the time I get it loaded in my gun, they will probably have escaped anyhow.

I took three Walmart bags loaded with tomatoes to church this morning same as last week. We have a lot of unemployed young families in our church. They appreciate them and I hate to see any really good tomatoes go to waste. Now I have to start looking for folks who want some jalapeno and Poblano peppers.

Ted
Old June 19, 2011   #19
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post

I took three Walmart bags loaded with tomatoes to church this morning same as last week. We have a lot of unemployed young families in our church. They appreciate them and I hate to see any really good tomatoes go to waste. Now I have to start looking for folks who want some jalapeno and Poblano peppers.

Ted
That episode is The Pickle Story......try to catch it. It's a classic!

It's great when your abundance of tomatoes goes to folks that can really use them.

We've known some folks that hit hard times, both finanical and health related and they so appreciated tons of tomatoes. Some fresh, some canned.
My brother in law just got diagnosed with some really bad news and I gave him some tomato plants this year. It's the first time they have grown them in years.
He's so excited about the different varieties and their hopeful yields.

A few years back, my wife went around to all our neighbors and started handing them goody bags loaded with tomatoes.
It was funny. Of course, some neighbors we knew really well. However, others would open the door and it would be like: Hello! You haven't said one word to us in twelve years but here's a great big bag of tomatoes. Nice to meet ya!

Tomatoes, bringing folks together!

Brian
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2011   #20
tedln

I've had some folks offer to buy all I can grow. They can't get anything like them at the grocery store. I get my pleasure from growing them and then listening to people telling me what they thought when they ate them. I just tell them to ask for some next year and I will be happy to share, but I don't sell them. I get excited when their eyes light up while describing the taste. I get excited when people who maybe can't afford to buy tomatoes at the market tell me how their daddy or grandpa used to grow tomatoes that taste just like the ones I give them. I also get excited in the early spring when they first start to ripen on the vine and I anticipate their taste within a few days. For me, it's all about the anticipation.

Ted