Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 15, 2024   #1
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Default Need recommendations for micro tomatoes

I'm thinking of growing micro's next winter and am needing help with what is the sweetest and productive micro ,all suggestions will be considered. TIA!

PS. I typically am partial to orange but if there's not a good orange ill grow red,are there any heart micro's out there?
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2024   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Be careful with what you trial, if you are limited in space. Traditionally, micros were considered as plants being about 14 inches and under in height.

I hear that there are some new "Wizard of Oz" themed varieties listed as micros, with reports that they grow to about 24", or more.

I have a fairly large collection of micros. PM me a mailing address if interested in them.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2024   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Gary, MY Wizard of Oz dwarf series are not microdwarfs and I have never said they were. They are dwarfs from my short and sweet breeding project and they are all very beautiful and delicious, perfect for pots and patios.

But Dan, I do have some fun micros in the making including some Multiflora and some striped varieties which are unique and origional and bred by me and are also part of my dwarf breeding work and so they are all “ short and sweet” micro to 5’ tall Twister.
I’ll be releasing several soon, perhaps for next winter depending on how the season goes
if you or others are are interested, have a look at my Northern Gardener page on FB or Instagram there are lots of pictures.
There are also photos here under the heading short and sweet.
Meanwhile no doubt you can find plenty of others many of which are rather hard to tell apart from my perspective.
Karen Olivier
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2024   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Gary, MY Wizard of Oz dwarf series are not microdwarfs and I have never said they were. They are dwarfs from my short and sweet breeding project and they are all very beautiful and delicious, perfect for pots and patios.

But Dan, I do have some fun micros in the making including some Multiflora and some striped varieties which are unique and origional and bred by me and are also part of my dwarf breeding work and so they are all “ short and sweet” micro to 5’ tall Twister.
I’ll be releasing several soon, perhaps for next winter depending on how the season goes
if you or others are are interested, have a look at my Northern Gardener page on FB or Instagram there are lots of pictures.
There are also photos here under the heading short and sweet.
Meanwhile no doubt you can find plenty of others many of which are rather hard to tell apart from my perspective.
Karen Olivier
You've been around long enough to know how frustrating it is to see others mislabel everything under the sun. I'm constantly correcting Karma to KARMA.

There is a small group that is trying to "correct" it. By doing so, they remove the "micro" designation, and replace it with "mini". If you don't like the mini term, I can ask then to not use it. I prefer to just use dwarf and micro dwarf, as a "mini", to me, IS a dwarf. I think that it keeps them from confusing determinate dwarf varieties from the Dwarf Project "tree type" dwarf indeterminates. A few of them also are calling some full sized determinates as a dwarf.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2024   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I think it’s fine to call them dwarfs. they are all dwarfs, even the micros
I don’t know why people see the need to split every hair so fine
Short and sweet dwarfs.

If I release micros I will call them micros for the indoor growers and the hair splitters but my micros will also be worth growing outdoors, not just as a winter novelty, or at least that’s my goal so we will see how they turn out.
To date, I have released zero Microdwarfs.

Yet.

I do have a number of them in progress and I hope folks will enjoy them when they are stable enough to release. There are some fun ones among them I think and some surprises as far as flavour is concerned I hope too.

Karen

Last edited by KarenO; February 16, 2024 at 08:48 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote