Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 8, 2011   #1
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Cobra Tomatoes

Has anybody here had experience with Cobra tomatoes? How did they turn out for you?
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #2
JackE
Tomatovillian™

I believe that you might get some info on those specialized greenhouse cultivars at www.producecommunity.com. That's a forum for REAL farmers - like guys that grow 85,000 tomato plants - so I try not to interfere with their discussions (mostly about financial, legal and market matters). I don't really belong there, but they will help small growers with technical info sometimes (especially us because we're a non-profit). There are also commercial greenhouse discussion forums that they can link you to.

The greenhouse industry is taking-over the tomato business - fewer acres of field production overy year. We'd love to get into it, but the six-figure capital investment is beyond our reach - just a little! LOL. I guess up in Canada that's the only way y'all can grow them. I heard that they grow vegetables in caves up there - with gro-lights.

Jack

PS - no nicknames at Produce Community - everyone uses their real name, name of firm and title, etc. Very professional place.

Last edited by JackE; February 9, 2011 at 04:49 AM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #3
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I grew Cobra in my Alaska greenhouse a couple years ago. Results were just so-so. I don't remember weather conditions the year I grew it (going from memory here). As I recall, I had just one plant. I'm going to try it again this year, as it's highly recommended for greenhouse culture.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #4
Ozark Organic
Tomatovillian™

I grew Cobras in my greenhouse in Idaho. I was not all that impressed. They just didn't have any flavor and my customers noticed. Big Beef did much better for me, as did Early Girl. Big Beef was my biggest seller by far. I don't grow it anymore since Monsanto bought Seminis, but I still miss it!
Ozark Organic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011   #5
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Had mixed results. The 100 plants I grew outdoors on a trellis were awesome, showed hardly no cracking - while I lost 2/3" of my Big Beef crop due to cracking - a wet rainy year. Flavour of those grown in a poly tunnel did not even touch that of the outdoor grown plants.
Old November 22, 2011   #6
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

This year I can honestly say Cobra was not so hot - lots of green shoulder. Arbason and Geronimo far outperformed it. The cobra plants seemed to set 4 trusses, then run out of gas, while Arbason and Geronimo did not have this problem, and both carry the uniform ripening gene.
Old November 28, 2011   #7
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Wait.. are you saying Big Beef is no longer available.. or..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Organic View Post
I grew Cobras in my greenhouse in Idaho. I was not all that impressed. They just didn't have any flavor and my customers noticed. Big Beef did much better for me, as did Early Girl. Big Beef was my biggest seller by far. I don't grow it anymore since Monsanto bought Seminis, but I still miss it!
Old November 28, 2011   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I was going to comment pretty much the same as everyone else. Not much in the way of flavor there. They are grown to be shipped. Very good commercial tomato to sit (aka-transportation) for a long period of time before getting to the consumer. I don't grow it, but my neighbor who has a farm market does, just to have tomatoes on the counter.
Old November 28, 2011   #9
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Green shoulder was another issue for me here - not good.