Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 30, 2017   #1
CherryTom
Tomatovillian™

Default Physalis (ground cherry)

Hello, I have multiple ground cherries but understand that there are multiple different genetics that are mostly self producing. I am wondering if anyone knows about cross potential of these guys.
CherryTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I grew them for number of years. The only one that was suitable for my season was the Physalis pruinosa (Aunt Molly’s Ground Cherry). I tried two others not worth considering. Often fruit, but the season was too short for ripening.

Out of about six years I only had one good year and got around a bushel from about four plants. They are very hard picking. But a very nice fruit as a novelty.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WXDUB 4 October 2011 Ground Cherry. (Physalis Pruinosa) aka Aunt Molly Ground Cherry
Three pounds of ground cherries were picked from two plants. The cleaned weight is 2.5 pounds. They may be eaten raw or cooked. I prefer them cooked. They have a most pleasant taste similar to cooked peaches. They take a long season, so I start the seedlings indoors. They are prolific self seeders also. Any berries indicating green should be discarded, since they contain solanine. The same substance indicated by potatoes turning green when exposed to light.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LBXEL 23 October 2013 Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry)
Plants still producing fruit after about five frosts over the last six weeks. This fruit, one pound, was plucked from the branches not off the ground. Plants are still producing flowers. There appears to be no frost damage and the quality of the fruit is excellent and all ripe.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #3
CherryTom
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, we have a wild variety here as well as the cultivated variety "Aunt Molly's". Production in Michigan seems heavy compared to what you are describing but I'll have to take weights this year to be sure.
CherryTom is offline   Reply With Quote