Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting FFF N Seeds Today

1-23-18

As many of you already know, I have Fusarium race 3 and RKN in our garden soil. Today I'm starting tomato seeds to try to grow in that soil. They are:

Amelia VR Hybrid VFFFNTSt Packet (10 Seeds) 75 days Determinate

Dixie Red VFFFNAStTswv Hybrid Packet (10 seeds) 70 days Indeterminate

Mountain Merit Hybrid VFFFNTswvEbLb Packet (10 seeds) 75 days Determinate

Skyway VFFFNTswvTylc Hybrid Packet (5 seeds) 78 days Determinate

I want to get two plants of each to try out in the garden. I'm hoping the cold weather spells where it stayed below freezing for several days did some damage to the RKN population. I will be starting some cherry tomato seeds too. They will be planted in EarthTainers or the best containers we can afford.

These are RKN and Fusarium threads that I started. RKN http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42190

Fusarium Wilt http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45168
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Good luck there, Salt! This year will tell you a lot about whether you can grow any tomato in-ground or if you'll become a 100% Container grower. I hope they're tasty for you.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Nan, thank you. I didn't expect any replies. This is my other thread started yesterday, http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...526#post679526
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I think you will find that those varieties fare much better and will be productive if you can keep the pests and foliage diseases under control. I too tried a variety of the super hybrids with lots of fusarium and nematode resistance and they were productive for the most part but I found the taste and texture not to my liking so I went to grafting heirlooms onto different root stock that had that same high level of resistance. Besides root stock specific seed I also used some of the hybrids as root stock for grafting. The root stock specific seed did much better as grafting stock.

Good luck,
Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Bill, that productivity is what I am hoping to see like you have experienced. Of course, it would be nice if they taste at least like grocery store tomatoes. I will be planting some cherry tomatoes to grow in the same garden to compare with. I sowed a lot Porter cherry tomato seeds. Porter was developed back in the 1920s in Stephenville, Texas to grow in this area of Texas. We live around 60 miles east of Stephenville. Porter has no Fusarium or nematode resistance. Porter did grow and produce well here before 2015.

The rest is getting them started and eventually planted out. After that, take good care of them and see what happens.