Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Growing in Water

A week or so ago, it was a very windy day. I watched a Sweet Million branch snap off. I cut a couple sections and put them in a plastic drink container full of water. There were flowers on them, and still are. Then they started growing tomatoes. Interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0059.JPG (77.5 KB, 109 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #2
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
A week or so ago, it was a very windy day. I watched a Sweet Million branch snap off. I cut a couple sections and put them in a plastic drink container full of water. There were flowers on them, and still are. Then they started growing tomatoes. Interesting.
Hydroponic! . You're doing better than me and mine are in dirt!. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cool.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Robert, next time there is damage and you cut off some stuff, instead of water put those branches in some artificial mix.

The reason being that roots have to adapt after being raised in water to what they normally do when grown directly in soil or whatever so you short cut the adaptation by going directly to a solid matrix...

Try it,you'll like it.

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Carolyn, I do understand what you have written and completely agree. I wish I could express how much I appreciate your advice.

The rest of this ties in, and it's going to be long:

The past three years of gardening has been a lot of learning for me. Well, actually the past 7 years have been all about learning how to garden. In 2010, it was all about turning an unused area into a garden with a fence and moving a whole lot of soil. Learning about compost and trying to understand organics - all while detoxing from 10 years of taking prescribed opioids and morphine for nerve disease. It was a huge year of change. I went from not being able to dress myself and walk without help to using gardening as my crutch/cane. Our 2010 garden was a complete flop in production, but was what I needed to start living again.

In 2010 and 2011, I read so many Rodale Press booklets about organic gardening. I agreed with most of what I read, but I remembered my father using a combination of 10-10-10 and fish emulsion - he had beautiful gardens of flowers and vegetables in the 1970s. I remember how much work he put into those gardens because I was right there working with him.

By the time 2011 came about, I could dress myself - I could walk without a cane. Jan and I planted a garden that produced huge tomato plants of over 8' tall. Rows of okra that I could stand under for shade. There was beans, peas, turnips, squash, and onions growing out our ears it seemed like. The 2012, 13, and 14 gardens produced the same. I thought I had gardening figured out.

In 2015, I started trading seeds here at Tomatoville and I started asking questions about gardening. 2015 turned out to be the wettest year here in recorded history. The average yearly rainfall here is around 37 inches, but it rained almost every day from April through early June (70+ inches) I thought I understood why the garden didn't do well - it simply rained too much.

What I didn't know was all that rain made root knot nematodes breed - a lot. 2016's garden showed the results. The tomato plants that had grown 8' in years past struggled to grow 4' and produced a lot less. Okra no longer grows here, but we did have a wonderful onion crop that I was proud of.

This year, well, the tomato plants are struggling. I know they have RKN in their roots. The onion crop was ended prematurely due to thunderstorms in February and March and no winter to speak of. I'm looking at Texas 1015Y onions the size of a golf ball - yes, they will be good in soups and other uses, but 1015Y onions are not grown as pearl onions.

What does all that have to do with putting the tomato clones in a cup of water? Everything. I'm trying anything I can to get things to grow once again. Gardening helped me when I needed it to feel like I was living again. I owe it the same, and I'm going to figure out how.
Old May 20, 2017   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I was thinking about you this morning believe it or not.
I think about you and your loved ones every day many times a day.
This morning I got an idea about your tomatoes.

Instead of growing so many indeterminate late and mid season types.
Why not try growing early season determinate types that can produce before the nematodes take them down.

Find out which ones do the best and grow them every year.
Just an idea.
Worth
Old May 20, 2017   #7
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I'm amazed it's producing fruit! Very cool!

Regarding the nematodes, would you consider growing micros and tumblers in hanging baskets and containers?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, that's what I'm growing for the most part. I did plant a heart tomato and Rebel Yell which are both not early DTM types. What is producing best are cherry tomatoes. That's no surprise. Big Beef is doing pretty good - we might actually get edible tomatoes from the two plants. They have decent sized tomatoes on them.

I am thinking about foliar feeding/watering the plants on dry windy mornings. If the roots can't nourish the plants - then my thinking is to feed and water them the way I've read so many times isn't the right way. 'In my way of thinking', they need food and water somehow. How can I mess up plants that otherwise have no chance?

Worth, I talk to Jan and adashofpepper about the things you write about all the time. It's like you live next door.
Old May 20, 2017   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Salt, I'm amazed it's producing fruit! Very cool!

Regarding the nematodes, would you consider growing micros and tumblers in hanging baskets and containers?
Yes, I am interested.

I've also started the next batch of cherry tomatoes. I need to figure out a growing medium to grow them in containers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0061.JPG (68.8 KB, 79 views)
Old May 20, 2017   #10
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Miracle Gro Potting Mix (without or without Moisture Control - I use MC) is good enough to get started with - or stay with. 64 qt. (2 cu ft?) bags are around $14, which isn't cheap but lower than any better commercial mix. If containers work out for you, you can explore making your own mix.

Saltie, thanks for the brief history. I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well overall.

Btw, next time you're in a big box like Lowes, check the recycling rack for pot cases. More stable and less shady than the basket, and free.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Robert, thanks so much for your background information.

I did forget to say one thing,though.

When you take branches or cuttings and put them,hopefully in a solid matrix,not water, you need to take off any blossoms and small tomatoes, and that so all energy goes into root growth, and not into blossom set,etc. And keep well watered.

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

When you take branches or cuttings and put them,hopefully in a solid matrix,not water, you need to take off any blossoms and small tomatoes, and that so all energy goes into root growth, and not into blossom set,etc. And keep well watered.

Carolyn
I have tried it with the blooms and fruit on the cutting and you end up with a wee runt of a plant (((every time))) with a stupid looking tomato that doesn't do much.
Worth
Old May 20, 2017   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
I took one of the Sweet Million plants out of the cup of water and cut the tomato off and planted it in wet pro mix. The Garnet, Sweetie, and Peacevine are fresh cut today. I buried the stem to the middle of the cup. Is the Garnet plant big enough? or maybe the others are too big? Also, would keeping them in dappled shade be better for a while?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0064.JPG (70.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0065.JPG (70.4 KB, 64 views)
Old May 20, 2017   #14
imp
Tomatovillian™

Salt, what about doing a rain gutter system, some what like Gerado's, or sim.? Containers may stop nematodes from getting to the tomatoes, etc., if a tarp or plastic is put down under the container system.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I took one of the Sweet Million plants out of the cup of water and cut the tomato off and planted it in wet pro mix. The Garnet, Sweetie, and Peacevine are fresh cut today. I buried the stem to the middle of the cup. Is the Garnet plant big enough? or maybe the others are too big? Also, would keeping them in dappled shade be better for a while?
Yes, the garnet one is big enough ,I've rooted many much smaller than that.

And yes, I would keep them in semi-shade for a while, since right after putting them in the artificial mix they usually wilt down for a while due to transpiration,water loss from the foliage which is greater in sun than in shade.

Have patience,they will perk up and give you lovely plants

Patience is a virtue
Find it if you can
You'll find it in a woman
But seldom in a man.

QED.

Carolyn