Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 8, 2017   #1
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Default Jump starting 2017 with seeds

To start Or Not To Start ?
That is not really the question but the question is : WHEN ?t

Well , I am getting very itchy right now.
But it was 18F just last night and the way I understand it, the oldman winter will be around w/us for quite some time, no less than 2 months. But we have the statistical data to the help..

My LFD will will around April 6 ( take or give couple of days ). But that is just a ball park number. We can use 15 days forecast and make the move accordingly . So I will start my seeds such that it will give me a 15 days window of flexibility.
So here I come, Jan 15 the peppers get sown and come Feb 1st the tomato seeds will go in the cells. And that is my FINAL answer.

So what are your plans fo 2017 germination ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

As soon as my wife calls on her break, I'm going to plant tomato seeds. So, it's January 8 for me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #3
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I'm shooting for March 26th. At least that's what I recommended in last years notes. I got started a little early in 2016.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #4
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

January 15th for my first batch, fruit by the end of April
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #5
agee12
Tomatovillian™

According to this calculator my last frost date is April 12.

As I mentioned in another post, I first need to figure out where I am going to plant and from there prep the area.

My Rough To Do List:
Clean/Prep Planting Area
Clean /Sterilize containers and tools
Buy Heating Pads (maybe)
Set up lights (maybe)
Buy or Create Potting Mix.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #6
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Starting tomato seeds around March 20. Plant out last week of May. Potatoes, onions, peas and spinach last week March or first week April.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #7
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Right behind Salt. Peppers last year, tomatoes today for 6" pot ups outbound mid March.

http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php?u=6756
Old January 8, 2017   #8
OhioKate
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to be starting my tomato seeds around the third week of March. Peppers probably a week or two before that.

I did start my onions on New Year's Day so that satisfied my itch to get something growing...for now.
OhioKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #9
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

So what are your plans fo 2017 germination ?
February 1????

I am still trying to figure out what the tomato strategy should be for people who live in areas with high temperatures. What I am hoping is to get a harvest before the tomatoes go into heat-related dormancy, ride out the dormancy and then get a second harvest. If I am understanding what I've read here that is doable and/or there are varieties that can be planted and begin producing prior to when the high temps kick in and then continue producing during the high temps.

So for me I need to not only factor in the last frost date, I also need to figure out what the window is for my first harvest.

My understanding of peppers is that they take longer to get to maturity but many varieties will produce during the heat, the same applies eggplants.

I don't know what the deal is with cucumbers but I suspect that it is similar to tomatoes. With cucumbers I also have to factor in pollinators.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I ended up planting 54 varieties of tomato seeds today.

I was thinking of making a thread where we can post what we are planting out and maybe add some info why we chose those. I've noticed a lot of people have moved to places they are not familiar with growing there yet. I'll have to give it more thought.

Peppers in Georgia, I would say, grow a bunch of them.
Old January 8, 2017   #11
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I ended up planting 54 varieties of tomato seeds today.

I was thinking of making a thread where we can post what we are planting out and maybe add some info why we chose those. I've noticed a lot of people have moved to places they are not familiar with growing there yet. I'll have to give it more thought.

Peppers in Georgia, I would say, grow a bunch of them.
How many total plants did you start with your 54 varieties?
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There are 3 or 4 seeds in each cell. What I would like is to grow out is two of each.
Old January 8, 2017   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking I will lead the way this year with a crop of microdwarfs. Last year, I tried to be early, but I learned that if I let seedlings get very cold at night, 30's-40's, a lot of them will get sick and die, or at least turn yellow and stop growing.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

My schedule is kind of off. I worked seasonally at a tax franchise for 7 years but my office closed. I always had to start seeds before the season got too busy.

If I have any artichoke seeds left when I hoist off the couch, they are going into the pot tonight. I'll be starting celery this week too.

I might sow a few older onion and leek seeds and see what still germinates. A local nursery carries dixondale so for nearly the same price I can have a fun shopping trip.

I want to start spinach. Is it really too soon?

I also have some saved hibiscus to sow.

I really enjoy the extended garden season now that I have more time.

- Lisa

I'll probably end up surfing here instead.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

agee12, you don't need to start cucumbers now. From seed to plant out is only about 1-2 weeks, and you can even direct sow them. They grow big FAST. You will be wasting your effort and they would take over your house. Someone near you can give you the heads up when it comes time.

- L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
February 1????

I am still trying to figure out what the tomato strategy should be for people who live in areas with high temperatures. What I am hoping is to get a harvest before the tomatoes go into heat-related dormancy, ride out the dormancy and then get a second harvest. If I am understanding what I've read here that is doable and/or there are varieties that can be planted and begin producing prior to when the high temps kick in and then continue producing during the high temps.

So for me I need to not only factor in the last frost date, I also need to figure out what the window is for my first harvest.

My understanding of peppers is that they take longer to get to maturity but many varieties will produce during the heat, the same applies eggplants.

I don't know what the deal is with cucumbers but I suspect that it is similar to tomatoes. With cucumbers I also have to factor in pollinators.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote