Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2023   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Better Boy vs Early Girl

I have grown Early Girl for many years and had great success but last year could not find them at my favorite nursery so I went with Better Boy and was very happy with my results.The production and flavor were excellent.I bought my plants yesterday but will hold off planting for a week or so because we are still having night time temps in the high 30's.But to make sure I have them I bought them before they sell out.My other choice I always grow are another favorite Black Krim but that's a subject for another day.I know the soil can make a difference in flavor,I try to add different winter cover crops.Last year I went with blend of winter rye,yellow sweet clover,hairy vetch,alfalfa,buckwheat and daikon radishes.My garden is small a little over 200 sq.ft.Who else grows these tomatoes and how do you compare the two,flavor and production?
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2023   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

"how do you compare the two"

Grow more varieties of tomatoes so you have a basis for comparison. It is not possible to determine the best tomato for your locale or even the best flavored tomato after having grown two hybrids and one open pollinated tomato. Big Beef outproduces both and has better flavor. Ramapo is another that can churn out huge crops of tasty tomatoes. I'm growing about 160 varieties of heirlooms this year. At least 50 of them will have superb flavor. If I am lucky, I'll have 5 that are off the charts good flavored and produce more fruit than I can possibly use. I am growing 2 or 3 hybrids specifically to make crosses with intent to move disease tolerance into some open pollinated lines.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2023   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

What Darrell said! I grew hybrids for twenty years and the made the move heirlooms/open pollenated varieties for the past 24 years. Since my space for growing is more limited the numbers of varieties is just a bit over 500 different ones. Of those there are maybe 50-75 that rate in the 8 or 9 or 10 for 10. Maybe 10 varieties are considered "every year" tomatoes.

No hybrid, in my gardens, has rated above 6/10, but every so often I will try a new hybrid that growers say is really good. Not a breeder but an eater, so they either make the grade or not. About 10-20% of all my tomatoes are less flavorful than 7/10 and do not make the cut for the next season.

The fun part of growing tomatoes is experimenting with as many varieties as possible. Expand horizons to make true comparisons.
Old May 16, 2023   #4
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

We grow several Better Boy plants every year and wouldn't be without them. I think they're delicious, with a tangy, home-grown red tomato taste. It's a great tomato, highly productive, continues to set fruit even in high temperatures, is disease-resistant and reliable, can withstand the ubiquitous foliage diseases we get here, doesn't crack or catface or get blossom end rot. It's juicy, has great texture, and doesn't have a thick skin.

I grew Early Girl two years ago and didn't like it at all. It was mealy/grainy, didn't have much flavor, and wasn't even as early as Fourth of July, which beat it by about five days and had much better flavor and texture.

If you like the flavor, production and reliability of Better Boy and would like to try something similar, you might try Park's Whopper or Supersonic.

I agree with the other posts saying you should try some heirloom tomatoes if you haven't yet. There's an amazing variety of tastes, colors, shapes, sizes and textures out there. I've tried about 40 at this point (still a beginner compared to most on this board) and will continue to try as many as my garden space will allow. Some have been fantastic, many have been good, some have been bland, and some have been yuck, but they've all been fun to grow.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2023   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I have room for only 10 tomato plants but willing to try something different.I saw some that I never heard of at the nursery Monday.I try for the early variety because of our shorter growing season(Northeast Ohio).I haven't planted yet as our night temperatures are still touching in the high 30's.Planting times is usually around Memorial Day and by the end of September I turn the garden over and plant a winter cover crop.I thought I saw Big Beef.I'm heading back to the town where the nursery is located Saturday and will stop and look around.Thanks everyone.
Old May 17, 2023   #6
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I live about 25 miles or so away from you and I'm getting ready to put some plants in the garden on Friday or Saturday. If you feel like taking a drive I have some plants I'd be willing to donate to your cause. I have Dester, Brandywine, Rebel Yell, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Prue, Polish and Seek No Further Love Apple. Most people who frequent this forum would probably tell you that these varieties taste way better than Big Boy or Early Girl. But taste is a very subjective thing. What tastes wonderful to one person is mediocre to another.

Dan
Old May 18, 2023   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for that great offer,I sent you message.Hope you have a great garden this year. We get by this next 7 days hopefully the nights will stay in the 60's.You just never can be certain about Northeast Ohio weather.
Old May 18, 2023   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Yes I agree with you. The 7 day forecast looks good to me so I'm going to plant out on Friday. 48 deg. night time temps are scheduled for a couple of nights but that won't hurt my plants as I have hardened them off to tolerate those occasional temps.

Dan