Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2015   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Recommend me a GWR

GWR aka green when ripe.
Never tried one, except something which I think is known as green zebra cherry, which I liked but had horribly tough skins.
I don't like a sweet tomato, something balanced or on the tart side. I like for example Aunt Gertie, Druzba, Crnkovic, Galina, Azoychka, Tomatoberry. These are quite 'resistant' to becoming sweet.
Thanks.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Of all the GWRs I tried the one that did the best and was the tastiest to me was Grub's Mystery Green. It had the advantage of being a fairly small vine that produced some really nice sized fruits. It also had the advantage of resisting diseases better than most.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #3
Bruinwar
Tomatovillian™

Aunt Ruby's German Green. Very good producer, somewhat disease resistant, & when all things are right, the taste is amazing. Large fruit but short shelf life when picked ripe. Sometimes I swear they taste like a melon. Makes great juice, excellent gazpacho!

I did a Gerry's Green Giant one year, huge, round, tasty, but not that much fruit.

-joe
Bruinwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

For both production and taste, I have to go with Dwarf Kelly's Green from the Dwarf Project. I've tried a lot of the GWR's and am "growing out" a new one right now. DKG is by far the best. I did like Cherokee Green, Cherokee Lime, Grubb's Mystery Green, ARGG, Emerald Giant, and Green Zebra. There were a few others, but nothing was really as good.

It was just sweet and tart (full flavored) all at the same time.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinwar View Post
Aunt Ruby's German Green. Very good producer, somewhat disease resistant, & when all things are right, the taste is amazing. Large fruit but short shelf life when picked ripe. Sometimes I swear they taste like a melon. Makes great juice, excellent gazpacho!

I did a Gerry's Green Giant one year, huge, round, tasty, but not that much fruit.

-joe
+1
Also my absolute favorite: Cherokee Lime
Both are well balanced sweet and acid.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Spear's Tennessee Green is one of the best that fits your flavor request. The best GWR is Green Giant, but it tends to lean more to the sweet side of the flavor profile, so go with STG.

By the way, Green Giant was one of the parents to Dwarf Kelly Green that Ted mentioned above.....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #7
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Asking that question here will only confuse you, so I will add to that. I have to agree with b54red on Grub's Mystery Green. Last year's new favorite was Cherokee Lime Stripes but that does have a reddish blossom end so it might not qualify. This year I have a new one for me that I am very pleased with and that is Zebra Rita. It is a somewhat larger and less bitey Green Zebra. With the clear skin it has, it is somewhat difficult to tell when ready. Also worth mentioning is
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka. (I have to copy and paste that one for correct spelling.) Excellent flavor. Cherokee Lime is on next years list to try.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I liked Spears Tennessee Green, too. Very productive, tough plants. They lasted all season.
Old July 24, 2015   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I guess Spears Tennessee Green it is then. Malakhitovaya Shkatulka, I hear everybody raving how sweet it is, so I'm not sure it's for me.
How about Lime Green Salad?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have 6 Lime Green Salad plants in seed cells. I got the seeds from Worth. He and a lot of others told me it is a good tasting tomato. (Smaller plant)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #11
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Green and Verde claro for a cherry. Verde claro was ountstanding. Grew both Grubs and Malachite this year and I wasn't impressed with either.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

cherry: Green Tiger or Lucky Tiger
dwarf: Jade Beauty
saladette: Esmerelda Golosina
slicer: Cherokee Green
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

First, Green Zebra Cherry is not known to be related to Tom Wagner's Green Zebra, it just looks like it, and I love Green Zebra Cherry and here's the background:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

Actually Manfred Hahm and Reinhard Kraft were the ones who were able to trace it back to the Netherlands and there it became a cold case, if you will.

Tania has not yet updated for 2015 but most of the 2014 places probably still have it, and I offered it in my annual seed offer here for many years.

The first GWR I got were from the original Gleckler's back in the 80's as well as ones from Seeds Blum. now extinct. And those first ones were really family heirlooms unlike so many today that are the result of X pollinations or directed breeding programs.

Just for the fun of it I went to Tania's GWR page and copyed down the ones I've grown to date, and I'm going to list them first and then indicate which ones I like best.

Years ago many got involved in growing the so called black ones and Craig L and I both thought that fad would eventually wane,and we both predicted that the next fad would be the GWR's and that has certainly happened.

Ones I've grown:

Emerld Evergreen
ARRG ( met Aunt Ruby's niece at SSE and it was quite emotional since her Aunt had recently died and she wanted me to autograph the page in my book for ARGG)
Charlie's Green
Cherokee Green
Chile Verde
Dorothy's Green
Evergreen
Grandma Oliver's Green
Green Doctors ( regular and frosted ( clear epidermis)
Green Giant
Green Grape, original indet and morphed det)
Green Zebra
Green Zebra cherry
Grub's Mystery Green
Hugh's Green
Humph
Lucinda
Malachite Box ( too lazy to fetch the real name)
Moldovan Green
Summertime Green ( dwarf project)

I think my own faves, in order might look like this:

Cherokee Green
Verde Claro
Green Zebra Cherry
Grandma Oliver's Green
Humph
Malachite Box
Green Giant

And I was sent seeds for Cherokee Lime (2 folks), Cherokee Lime Stripes, Verdal, Emerald Pear, Reinhard's Green Heart and Zelyonye, Annie B's Green is a repeat and all of these are out for seed production this summer for the 2016 seed offer next January and fingers crossed since some of my seed producers are having major problems due to weather.

My now VERY LATE 2015 seed offer which I hoped to have up before now will have:

Emerald Pear

and several from Neil L, oneof my seed producers, who has been sending me extra seeds of what he's been growing for new seed production for his about 600 SSE listings and of GWR he sent these:

Malachite Box
Green Giant
Cherokee Green,

I probably missed some in going over my lists, but when I'm perfect I'll announce that here at Tville.

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2015   #14
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

My absolute favorite is Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (Malachite Box) and zipcode it isn't just sweet, it's well-balanced and also has a spicy component to the taste. I'm also very fond of Lime Green Salad. I need to try some others though. Just because.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just now picked my first few Green Doctor's Frosted. They are sweet. Flavor-wise, I like them a lot better than Sungreen F1.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote