Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 29, 2017   #331
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Remind me to report back on Teddy Bear sunflower. I bought a pack from High Mowing Seeds years ago and just stuck a seed in an old flower pot. Giving it a try for the same reasons ... potential market sell.

- Lisa
Do you sell at the old market in downtown Omaha? My son and his family shop there every Saturday during growing season.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #332
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
That lime or lemon basil is a great substitute for cilantro. FYI. Especially for the people who dispise it.

Imp, thanks for the suggestion on the lettuce leaf basil. People ask me what I do with this and that out in my greenhouse and I give them incredulous looks and say
.."me? I just grow this for people who want to buy it. I don't have time to cook. Sorry, no help from me on that"
A few more "off label" suggestions for using the lettuce leaf basil:

Roll up leaves tightly and chiffonade ( cut in little strips across the roll) and sprinkle into green salads to change the taste up just a bit.

Put a nice big leaf in with the lettuce of your BLT or BLAT sandwich.

Use as a wrap for around jalapeno poppers after they are cooked- the peppers, use the leaf raw, LOL- Rob liked these this way.

Put a raw leaf in the bottom of your corn shell for tacos- not only tastes good, but stops the meat from making the taco soggy.

Lastly, a fav of mine since sometimes I snack better than eat a full meal, a nibble plate with cut mozzarella sticks, diced tomatoes or tomato jam, green onions, little bread slices or none, varied salamis or cold cuts, or home made ham is also good. You can use the leaf or bread as the base and layer it into sort of a taco ( without bread) or ????
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #333
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
A few more "off label" suggestions for using the lettuce leaf basil:

Roll up leaves tightly and chiffonade ( cut in little strips across the roll) and sprinkle into green salads to change the taste up just a bit.

Put a nice big leaf in with the lettuce of your BLT or BLAT sandwich.

Use as a wrap for around jalapeno poppers after they are cooked- the peppers, use the leaf raw, LOL- Rob liked these this way.

Put a raw leaf in the bottom of your corn shell for tacos- not only tastes good, but stops the meat from making the taco soggy.

Lastly, a fav of mine since sometimes I snack better than eat a full meal, a nibble plate with cut mozzarella sticks, diced tomatoes or tomato jam, green onions, little bread slices or none, varied salamis or cold cuts, or home made ham is also good. You can use the leaf or bread as the base and layer it into sort of a taco ( without bread) or ????
great ideas/suggestions, thanks!
Old May 30, 2017   #334
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Another quick easy flower to draw their attention is the Pansy. It loves to grow in cool temps so an unheated greenhouse would be a perfect place to start them. I have a big pot of yellow ones by my front door and it makes a splash of color to welcome everyone.
Old May 30, 2017   #335
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I just now called about shade cloth for the greenhuose. I will probably put in the order tomorrow.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #336
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Pentas looks feasible as a late summer container plant:
https://www.harrisseeds.com/products...raffiti-mix-f1
https://www.harrisseeds.com/products...-red-velvet-f1

Salvia might sell, too, if it was as attractive as the pics: https://www.harrisseeds.com/products...lvia-reddy-mix

Harris also has another dwarf zinnia I just noticed: https://www.harrisseeds.com/products...nt=28917691537

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; May 30, 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old May 30, 2017   #337
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Do you sell at the old market in downtown Omaha? My son and his family shop there every Saturday during growing season.
I have a wonderful set up. My neighbor is the potential seller. I share a garden with a city neighbor that bought an acreage a few miles away. I grow the plants and basically he does the heavy work. We used to split the produce for our own consumption. One year he took out a booth at a West Omaha market adjacent to an outdoor mall to sell his overabundance of garlic, and he brought in a few orange and bicolor tomatoes and they went like hotcakes. Health and his work prevented selling the past few years but at the last second he has a plan for the second half of this summer. He just planted the last 12 tomato plants I had yesterday, for a total of approx 72.

I think it would be fun to try something new. It was too late to start herb seedlings when he informed me of the selling. I should start some of the dwarf sunflower seedlings in peat pellets and see what the plan is for the booth. This is a much smaller market than the Old Market and Midtown Crossing markets, but it's just up the street from where we live.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #338
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Dahlias look doable: https://www.harrisseeds.com/products...-harlequin-mix

Flowers are uncharted waters for me. But Harris looks to have some good stuff: https://www.harrisseeds.com/collecti...-select-mix-f1
Old May 31, 2017   #339
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thus places breeds their own sunflowers, has so many to choose from, and supplies Harris and Johnny's, and others with their seeds. Very reasonable. I just ordered 5 different dwarfs, all branching.
http://www.sunflowerselections.com/p...or-pots-plugs/
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #340
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Van posted that link a few pages back, but I'm glad you did, too, because it reminds me to place an order myself.
Old May 31, 2017   #341
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered 5 dwarfs from Sunflower Selections.

I also placed a Harris order. The Gerbera Daisy seed is crazy expensive, but I had to try it.

Order summary

Gaillardia Arizona Sun × 1
Seed / Untreated / Packet - 50 Seeds
$3.35

Gerbera Cartwheel Autumn Colors F1 × 1
Seed / Untreated / 50 Seeds
$19.05

Marigold New World Strawberry Blonde × 1
Seed / Untreated / 500 Seeds
$7.95

Pentas Graffiti Mix F1 × 1
Seed / Untreated Pelleted / 100 Seeds
$10.25

Pentas Graffiti Red Velvet F1 × 1
Seed / Untreated Pelleted / 100 Seeds
$10.25

Salvia Reddy Mix × 1
Seed / Untreated / 250 Seeds
$5.45

Zinnia Zinnita Mix × 1
$9.70

Dahlia Harlequin Mix × 1
$9.50

Abutilon Bella Select Mix F1 × 1
Seed / Untreated / 50 Seeds
$12.20
Old June 1, 2017   #342
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Snapdragons I love snapdragons.
Every year my mother would let me plant them along both sides of the walk from our house.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #343
charline
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thus places breeds their own sunflowers, has so many to choose from, and supplies Harris and Johnny's, and others with their seeds. Very reasonable. I just ordered 5 different dwarfs, all branching.
http://www.sunflowerselections.com/p...or-pots-plugs/

I just looked at this website and was tented to order when I saw that the pakets were 100 seeds.... for 3 different sunflowers I would have then 300 seeds! Too much. I would prefer 100 seeds total but 5 different varieties
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #344
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I just looked at this website and was tented to order when I saw that the pakets were 100 seeds.... for 3 different sunflowers I would have then 300 seeds! Too much. I would prefer 100 seeds total but 5 different varieties
I wonder if others might go in on these with you. Anyone like that idea?
Old June 1, 2017   #345
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Cole, what did you order from the sunflower place?