Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 5, 2012   #1
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Default Mexico Midget

noticed this tonight by flashlight, and I had to bring it inside to see and photograph. Flowers already! Also I checked every plant carefully Saturday and missed a big sucker, which I cut and am going to root. So much for "nothing happening" but I did mostly mean with the peppers. This guy is eight weeks old. I need to get my containers ready. Two events Saturday but Sunday will be a big garden day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1354764033149.jpg (33.1 KB, 49 views)
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #2
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

How's it doing now?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #3
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Buried pretty deep in one of two self watering containers we built Sunday. But the MMs and the Red Currants have really shot up. More are flowering. The Chocolate Cherries are pretty short now. Thanks for asking! Also have some clippings I am working on rooting from the bigger plants I had purchased.

Getting flowers on two of the three zucchini and finally notable growth of the peppers. And I planted two pineapple tops. Still waiting on two local avocado seeds to sprout a root.
Old December 11, 2012   #4
Deborah

Everyone says they're awful to pick but I want to try MM and a currant someday !
Old December 11, 2012   #5
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

That is just because they are so tiny? I just thought, healthy snacks and hopefully a different flavor. I am also growing a few Lollipop, a lot of cherries. They seem like they will be pretty early.
Old December 12, 2012   #6
Deborah

I think little teeny tomatoes the size of a raisin would be a crack up !
Old December 12, 2012   #7
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I will have to make pictures of them, and my garden tweezers! LOL
Old December 12, 2012   #8
Deborah

LOL. Can't wait !
Old December 13, 2012   #9
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Today, a guy arrived to pressure wash my house. I rent, and the realtor organized it. It REALLY needed it, a white stucco Spanish-style house (built in 1927) with various mildew and rust stains on the front, shady, side. The back, which faces south had almost no marks.

Anyhoo, had to drag all my plant containers further from the house, but everything seems to have come through unscathed, and the nice fellow did a great job. I ended up offering him some of my tomato plants, explaining that I planted too many seeds, not expecting them to all come up. So he went home with five plants still in the styro cups: two Mexico Midgets, two Red Currants, and one Chocolate Cherry which now looks like the 'dwarf' compared to these others which have rocketed up. I sent him off with the Totally Tomatoes catalog which had just come, so he could know what he was dealing with. He seems intrigued. In turn, I had to explain the feral cat situation because the kittens were scampering around until the pressure washer started up... and he offered me a bunch of critter containers (cages, carriers) that he has had since his sister passed away. He wanted them to go to someone who will use them well. I said if I didn't have use for them I know people who are really active with both cat and dog rescue, and could definitely get them to people who would really use them for good.

I talked with someone else later in the day who will also take a few tomatoes. Then I can think about planting two more Jaune Flamme and two more Lollipops. Or more if I know I can give some away later too.

Spotted some snap peas forming on my plants already!
Old December 13, 2012   #10
Deborah

If you have a feral cat group there you can trap the ferals and get them neutered for free.
Old December 14, 2012   #11
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
If you have a feral cat group there you can trap the ferals and get them neutered for free.
Yes, there's a great program here, Care Feline TNR which covers Orange County, FL. It's free, however, the surgery is done at Animal Services, and sometimes it backs up and there's a huge wait list. (I was a phone volunteer for a while. The county seems to go through changes in availability, while the cats don't pay attention to that schedule.) Because it's getting into the holiday season I was going to pursue another (low cost) spaying and neutering clinic in the area. They also have a nice thing, "Spay It Forward" where I can pay extra towards someone who maybe can't afford it.

I ordered my own traps, since it looks like there is no end to the cat 'problem' in my neighborhood, and it's just easier to have my own. Plus, I realize I have a 'borrowed' one for almost a year which I really need to return. It has perhaps saved a life though.
Old December 14, 2012   #12
Deborah

So you're going to trap the ones you have now?
Thank you for what you're doing !!!
Old December 14, 2012   #13
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I only wish I'd started sooner. The first year I rented this house, there were a few cats roaming around and suddenly two litters of kittens! Kittens who wouldn't come near enough to do anything with. Finally learned about the TNR program, and got eight (four males and four females, some young, some mature.) The most prolific mama was too shrewd. She walked out of two traps without tripping the door spring. Eventually she just moved away. We had a change of neighborhood tomcat, and all the males disappeared for a while. A few new females showed up and someone else got one of them spayed, as she's ear-notched like Sweetpea in my avatar pic. The longhair developed a mouth infection, and I brought her inside to treat her and she just stayed. I somehow missed ONE female, the one who turned up pregnant and has had the kittens. I've called for an appointment but but got the recording; I'll have to call again Monday.

I would love to get the tomcat, Kitler, neutered. The previous tomcat was too wily. He was like a mob boss who had his flunkie taste his food first. So the flunkie would get trapped and Tom would get away. I think Kitler's more of a loner. I just have to not be nearby because he's skittish of me.

The neighbor asked if her son could adopt the light gray kitten, but she said she wasn't sure whether the feral kitten would ever become friendly and pettable. I asked if they would be keeping the kitten inside, and it sounds like they are iffy on that because they have an older dog. So I don't have high hopes that this will work out, but I might have to trap little Two and bring him inside and try to socialize him in isolation from his mama and sibs. I was initially just going to trap them together and get them to the vet, but they haven't really trusted me as much as I had hoped, and they are getting bigger, about three months.

Little One watched me doing garden work this afternoon for a long time, and got reasonably close. I got five Wins All (well, the potato leaf version, Carolyn says isn't a true Wins All but I don't know what else to call it) planted in my fenced in-ground bed. Tomorrow I hope to get a raised bed built and pick up some more soil and compost. Whew, I should have started smaller! This first-season stuff is getting expensive and complicated!
Old December 14, 2012   #14
Deborah

You can't imagine how all this is warming my cat lover's heart !
I have two girls, Pepperlily and Spicemittens.
And my two little boys who are rabbits, Saltflower and Cloveblossom.
Old December 14, 2012   #15
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Aw, great names! They make me want to make gingerbread. Till I remember my attempt to make a gingerbread biscotti last Christmas which turned out way wetter than expected. I had to spread it in a pan rather than shaping it into a log. It was 'okay.'

My tabby Bella, I adopted from a teacher who works with my friend. They had named her Maybelline because of her 'eyeliner' stripes around her eyes, and I thought of honoring that since they had rescued the kittens, but in the end I shortened it to Bella. She's also known as little bunbun... though she's now quite long and a two-year-old.

Pixie was called "Puffy" when she was a street urchin and I thought she was male. I realized the day I was taking her to the vet for the first time that I needed a name that would stick. At Animal Services, through the TNR program, they ask for names. Several times I had to come up with names for my 'catch' while in line. One week it was Cheddar and Muenster. One older female was Mamie Eisenhower.

I had truly wanted to adopt a dog - an older sheltie - when I picked out this house with a fenced backyard. The cats found me. I don't want to own all of them, but I do enjoy them all and their unique personalities. Caring about street cats is a mixed bag: you can't keep them safe and they might wander away and leave you wondering. It's always a good day when I see one of the ones who hasn't been around in a while.