Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 15, 2011   #1
dborris
Tomatovillian™

Default Canning Toms with spices - question

Canning tomatoes - question:

(Please reply if you have done this with success. I know many will say it's a big NO, NO but if some have done this with success that's what I need to know.

I know how to can tomatoes and do it just like my Grandmother used to:
Cook down tomatoes, slow boil for a few hours.
Meanwhile put jars through dishwasher.
Add hot tomatoes to hot jars, add lid/seal and set on counter.
They all seal without water bathing. My Grandma always did this and never had a problem (she did hundreds every year).

This year I did this but without thinking I added an onion, 6 garlic pieces, little olive oil, parsley and basil (from garden) to my bushel of tomatoes. I then sealed them like my Grandma did.

Did I ruin an entire batch by adding additional items other than the toms? I made 22 quarts last night and they are all sealed on my counter. I did not add lemon juice or vinegar and I did not water bath.

I'm thinking it's ok but some websites say it's a big no, no. If it's not safe I don't want to lose all my hard work so wondering what ya think. If it's really a big fat NO should I process my already sealed jars (I have a water bath canner and a pressure canner) or do I stick them all in the freezer?

I want to talk with an older Grandma/Grandpa who can tell me but don't have either anymore...

If you have any thoughts I'd appreciate it.
dborris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Just what you didn't want to hear-

You have added low acid ingredients (onion, garlic, parsley and basil) and oil (BIG no no) to a borderline acid ingredient (tomatoes) and then not processed them properly.

I would get them into the freezer ASAP.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #3
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I would pressure can for 30 minutes at 10# pressure for quarts (adjust for your altitude) do to the low acid ingredients added. Setting even just plain sauce on the counter and letting the jars seal by themselves is know as open kettle canning and is no longer considered a safe practice. There is time for bacteria to enter once the jar is filled and before the lid is placed on, all you have done is seal in the germs. Processing is necessary. Water bath for plain, or pressure canning for "enhanced" sauce if it is enhanced with anything other than dried herbs.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #4
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

I would listen to the folks up above, they certainly sound like they know what they are doing.
I'm by no means an expert and always willing to learn.
I've done my tomatoes the last few years adding garlic, celery, hot peppers and onions in different combinations and have done them just as you have with no problems. We learned that from a friend who has done it that way for years.

However, I guess you can never be too safe.

Been thinking about getting a pressure canner for next year.

I've heard the basil is tricky. Friends claim that fresh basil turns to mush in the mixture.....was it dried?
Old September 15, 2011   #5
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Lurley, two questions.

1) what if lemon juice or citric acid had been added, would you recommend 15 min at 10# pressure?

2) why is pressure canning salsa not recommended? I just pressure canned a batch of salsa.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #6
dborris
Tomatovillian™

Default so...

Sooo....You're saying if I take the jars from my counter (already sealed and have been sitting out for a day) and put them in the pressure canner I will fix my dilema? Please say yes! How long do I process in the pressure canner?
dborris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #7
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborris View Post
Please say yes! How long do I process in the pressure canner?
I would suggest, at least 15 mins at 11 lbs, subject to the altitude you live at. The higher the altitude the longer process time.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #8
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborris View Post
Sooo....You're saying if I take the jars from my counter (already sealed and have been sitting out for a day) and put them in the pressure canner I will fix my dilema? Please say yes! How long do I process in the pressure canner?
Yes. They will reseal after processing. 20 mins at 10# if you are using a weighted gauge unless you have to adjust for altitude. I do mine for 30 mins but my sauce is VERY thick.
Old September 15, 2011   #9
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Lurley, two questions.

1) what if lemon juice or citric acid had been added, would you recommend 15 min at 10# pressure?

2) why is pressure canning salsa not recommended? I just pressure canned a batch of salsa.
1) you don't need to add extra acid if you are going to pressure can, only if you are going to BWB, and even then, I have heard, it's not necessary unless your tomatoes are dead ripe. I always do 20 mins at 10 # pressure minimum, I usually do 30 minutes just because my sauce is very thick and I want to make sure the heat has time to penetrate. Would definitely do 30 if all the low acid ingredients are still added in.
2)I'm guessing it's a texture thing. I tried canning salsa before but it turned all watery and squishy. Maybe if I used a really dry paste tomato it would turn out better, and maybe pickle crisp would help. For now, I just make it fresh in season, and buy fresh deli salsa out of season.
Old September 16, 2011   #10
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Open kettle canning - don't do it

Open kettle canning is not generally considered to be safe for canning any tomato products and hasn't been a recommended/best practice for quite some time as Lurley intimated earlier in this thread. I'd sure hate to be eating a jar that didn't happen to turn out okay because the health consequences are potentially so severe.

I'm sure many of us had grandparents who might have used this method and lived to tell the tale, but it's rolling the dice, and we now know so much more in this day and age about safe procedures than was known when they learned how to can. Yes, the odds are likely very high that it won't be a problem, especially if the jars are clean and you cook whatever you are adding for a long time - but it's not good enough odds for me to take chances with.

And as others have said, if oils are added or anything low-acid beyond a standard recipe, pressure canning is likely the best way to go if you have doubts. In any case, please be sure to consult Ball Blue Book guidelines (or other authoritative sources) for times and methods (boiling water bath/BWB or pressure canning). I have no desire to come off as schoolmarmish, but I don't want anyone to get sick or even die because they were not following currently accepted canning guidelines.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote