Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old May 18, 2013   #1
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Default why does my borage taste like fish??

Got my first borage flower today and promptly ate it. I was under the impression it was supposed to taste like cucumber which is why I chose to grow it. The flavor was anything but... it had an odd sardine flavor, it was actually quite disgusting even though I like sardines. I haven't fed the plant or sprayed it with anything recently.

What gives? Has anyone else had this experience with borage? Luckily it was easy to grow but as I'm not finding it delicious I'm wondering if its worthy of the space its taking up on my limited apartment patio.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing borage for several years and eat the flowers frequently. They always have a pleasant refreshing taste -- especially if I get the tiny bit of nectar -- but "cucumber" is a stretch.

I'd guess your planting medium or the container may be imparting that bad flavor.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Borage leaves taste like cucumber, the flowers a pleasant I don't know, "flowery" taste.

Fish? That's a new one on me.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #4
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting...like fish? I've always grown it for it's benefit to the soil and other plants, as it provides potassium, calcium and other minerals, not to mention how much Bees love Borage. You mentioned you have a limited apartment patio, but I would maybe consider at least keeping one Borage plant for the other benefits to the soil/plants it has, as I do know how big and unruly they get by the end of the season.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

If you want a cucumber-like taste, grow Salad Burnet. The young leaves are tasty in a salad.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #6
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Might just be the way you taste them. Stevia, for example, tastes bitter to me. And lemons taste sweet -- not sugary sweet, but fruity sweet.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013   #7
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Well I think I figured it out, I can rule out the soil being the problem: I'm growing lots of other herbs in the same stuff and those taste just fine with no hint of fish. I looked borage up regarding nutritional value and noticed they're known to have a high amount of GLA. The same stuff is in flax seed oil, which I've had in the past and hated due to the fishy taste. I guess GLA and my taste buds just don't like each other

I'll be on the lookout for salad burnet seeds. In the meantime I'll keep the borage for the flowers and hope they attract bees.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borage