Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 25, 2015   #11
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato

I have a few projects I am tinkering with, but this may just be my fav so far. This is an F3 of my Brandywine X Bloody Butcher cross, that Sherry Sheisal and I did last year, they are very early, the taste is excellent, and they are production machines of beautiful fruit that is market quality.
I grew out 10 f2's to make my selection, and lucky for me the earliest one had a slight beefsteak appearance, which I want, on average weighed from 3-6 oz, or so, and the taste was memorable.
I grew out 18 F3's, they are pretty consistent in shape and size, 12 went in the greenhouse, 6 went into the outside garden June 30th to see if I can get ripe fruit before frost. We have began tasting the fruit, we are seeing some variation there, it will be a week or so before we get through them all to find a favorite. The fruit size on these are also slightly larger than previous generations, and seems to be about 4-7oz average, with the first fruits being up to a pound. I also really like how the fruit on the trusses ripens close to the same time.
The plants in the picks were planted at the end of May, from the f2 that was started in January.
I am hoping to end up with a Brandywine quality OP line, that will produce very fast, yield well, look appealing, and tolerate cooler weather. That's not asking for too much. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1016.JPG (374.6 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1014.JPG (368.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1015.JPG (343.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1024.JPG (368.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1010.JPG (374.8 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by AKmark; August 25, 2015 at 01:32 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote