Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 21, 2018   #16
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I have some seeds waiting to be counted and put in little baggies right now. The late summer ritual has started!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2018   #17
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

been packing for more than a month now.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2018   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I have room for about 50 PM's at this time. So, it's OK to PM me about your Nifty Fifty variety candidates, now. Next week I'll try to clear more space.

Nifty Fifty categories remain the same, with the exception of a "Novelty" category which has already been reserved.

As for the regular swap categories, that too remains the same. But... last year most participants didn't really enter categories. They just sent seeds in, said to put them in any category they fit, and requested anything back. We'll see how this year goes.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2018   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The first package has arrived. Now I have to find out (again, it's been a whole year since) what salmiakki is.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #20
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

My wish is to get some seeds of early determinant tomatoes (at least some of this list):
Sub Artic Plenty
Siberian
Silvery Fir Tree
Siletz
Manitoba
Morden Yellow
Pregon Spring
Volgograd
Scotia
I will send:
Four varieties of large Spanish steak- Salobre, Zamorano, Fresa, Negro Sierra del Segura.
Three early determinant varieties- Sophie´s choice, Sarayev Shtambovyi, Sarayev Gruntovyi.
Two Czech cherry varieties-Rubinka, Jahodo (new variety similar to Tomatoberry F1).
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2018   #21
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Would someone be willing to sponsor my family? We didn't have a good garden year....
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2018   #22
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Sure thing, upcountrygirl. Any particular category..
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #23
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
My wish is to get some seeds of early determinant tomatoes (at least some of this list):
Vladimír
Hi Vladimir,

I have Volgogradskiy 323 from Tatiana and am happy to send you what I have. My quick notes based on growing 3 plants this summer are "2018 - Terribly slow grower. Do not grow again." I'll send you all I have so you can choose the best plant. It has big fruit and hence is definately not early.

I no longer have seeds for these - I gave them away a few years ago - but here are my notes:
Sub Artic Plenty - not early, poor taste.
Siberian - early due to small fruit, very poor taste, almost bitter.
Siletz - not early, taste is good
Manitoba - ok, but nothing special, weak taste
Oregon Spring - not early, taste is good

rg

Here are a bunch of early determinates you may want to consider which I have seeds for. The earliest of the bunch is Independence Day from Livingstone Seeds, which is similar to Glacier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Det Seeds.JPG (70.5 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; September 7, 2018 at 02:58 AM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tormato, after thinking about it a lot, the varieties I could send in are most likely crosses. We have a lot of wasps and bumblebees, and our son raises honey bees. I will not be sending in seeds. I know that growing a cross can be fun, but it can also be a waste of time, effort, space, and money.

I cannot morally send in seeds.

For everyone I wanted to sponsor, I do hope you understand.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #25
imp
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I am sure the people you offered to sponsor will understand you withdrawing. Maybe you can let each of them know so they can find a sponsor again?

Do you need me to sponsor you?

Best luck in next year's garden.
Old September 7, 2018   #26
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

I asked my family last night Nancy. They requested a l'il time to choose. I can tell you a few specifics... my son would like to try and grow brad's atomic grape and dark galaxy tomatoes and I'm interested in the dwarf varieties...particularly the dwarf rumplestiltskin. They also want to grow peppers and some other vegetables. I'll tell them they need to choose over the wkend and let you know a.s.a.p. if that's o.k....
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #27
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

You don't need to choose right now. Your requests can either go on the document here or when you send in your envelope to Tormato. I can cover you on both the anthocyan ones like the Brad Gates ones you refer to and the dwarf ones.
I haven't grow Dwarf Rumpelstiltskin, but have grown the Dwarf Striped Rumpelstiltskin Marsha sent out seeds for in the spring. It was wonderful and so pretty.
Pepper seed saving scares me because I have read they cross easily. There is only one I grow that I make sure there are no other peppers around to mess it up. The rest I buy.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2018   #28
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

So who are the people who will be needing a different sponsor?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2018   #29
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
So who are the people who will be needing a different sponsor?

I am not super sure exactly, Salt knows and should answer this question to be sure; I *think* he offered to sponsor MissS, Spike2, and Clking (???) from here in Wichita Falls, Texas, the last one.

Plus Salt if he wants to join in and have fun.
Old September 10, 2018   #30
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am still going through our tomato seed books. There are a lot to send in that I have received in trades. I usually send in 10 bags of each variety, however, I don't have that quantity of each.

Going through the main binder - I'm researching the ones I'm not sure about because I know some are F2, F3, etc. and have already separated those. The big binder has 48 pages of 9 varieties each that I have never grown. I can send in seeds from this binder if Tormato doesn't mind that many varieties will only have one or two bags of seeds. I can send those in to the MMMM on October 3 or 4. I don't have the money for postage before that.

I will PM Tormato asking if this would be okay or not.

I have two other binders with tomato and pepper seeds that I have grown and saved seeds from. I will not be sending in seeds from those two binders. I know for sure that some of the peppers are crosses, and am unsure about the tomato seeds.

Growing crosses can be fun if you know they are crosses. It can also be a waste of time, effort, and garden space.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote