Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 24, 2019   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Any crops that aphids don't touch?

I'm wondering if there is any food crop that aphids really dislike.
I've heard that they don't like garlic, and so far no sign of them on the bulbils/rounds I planted in the greenhouse this winter - after purging a huge aphid infestation on carrots.
They also didn't take up residence on my rosemary, so I'm pretty sure they won't go for that.

I know celery, lettuce, peppers and parsely are things they love even better than tomatoes.

Has anyone had the good fortune to find greens or other crops that aphids just won't bother trying to eat?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #2
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Haven't bothered our onions. They currently love the tomatoes and our new apple and hibiscus shoots.
Old April 24, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

They didn't get on my grape last year, but maybe I should keep a closer eye on those unopened leaf clusters too. I saw an ant on the window yesterday when the sun was shining, so aphid could be close behind.
Old April 24, 2019   #4
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Have not seen any on the Garden Sorrel come to think of it, over the 3 years I have been growing it
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I can't remember ever having any on the corn.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #6
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Maybe this sound ridiculous, but I rarely have problem with them on lettuce, particularly the red sails variety I grow. They prefer the mustard or brassica, which often the lettuce are grown right next to.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

They don't touch anything in my garden, except my plum tree leaves.

The plum tree leaves are like rare earth magnets, and the aphids are iron. The bottom of a leaf can be so densely covered that you can only see aphids and not see the leaf.

One wonders if it's possible for a ladybug to gorge itself into not being able to fly.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #8
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Asparagus!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #9
PlainJane

They’ve left the pluots and blueberries alone for 3 years now; one of those years they went for new apple foliage big time.
They’ve gone for red noodle pole beans but not any other variety.

For some reason every time I’ve had Gaura in the yard it gets smothered in aphids. I finally pulled it out and haven’t seen a one on the rest of the pollinators.

The yellow sticky traps really help!
Old April 25, 2019   #10
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Can aphids hide in a house? A friend has had aphids on her indoor grown pepper plants two years in a row now. Her house plants do not have aphids. No ants. Where else could they come from inside a house?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #11
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ants can be very stealthy. Houses can seem to be sealed when they're not.

I have three pepper plants right now that lived in one successfully sealed window all year last without getting aphids. Trouble is that is my seed starting area and is full of greens at the mo. Living room seal was a fail, all the peppers there last season got aphids and had to be taken outdoors eventually... I'm not up for the endless battle. So I don't have a great place to put the peppers, and I think it's a waiting game now, because the attached greenhouse is by no means free of ants and they will be finding a way in at some point.

Nice to see the suggestions for aphid free crops! It would be sweet to see them go back to their own habitat out there, out of disgust for what I am eating.
Old April 28, 2019   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'm not convinced of the lists I see on-line. Once the tender plants get past a certain point
they seem safe. The buggers do love small pepper plants. And my dwarf sunflowers...my
victims...'sticky traps' for the aphid world. I've been checking my peppers daily and I have
the sunflowers as always. (4 inch pots)

2017 was my aphid year indoors. Once I got the fungus gnats under control I failed to
notice the aphids. WHAM. Tragic,

I took a few quick pics and was showing a gardening co-worker my trays. Zoomed in and
saw aphids. That's a long 12 hours until I got home. :...I ran them outside when I got
home and dunked all of them in my rain barrel. Big bath.

I grow year round as you know and never had a problem. They never touch my salads
maybe because of the peppers/sunflowers nearby. Mice went for the sunflowers also.

2017 I never saw a aphid outside that entire season. (weird)
Good thing they don't care for us like ticks and fleas or I would just give up.

Maybe cover your tenders that are most important until they get larger. Row cover mini
style in the greenhouse. (?) I always cover my greens in the garden from flea beatles, etc
until they move on.
Asparagus and peppers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APHIDS-2.jpg (300.9 KB, 26 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote