Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 19, 2018   #46
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I peeled open a cup as I have another 3-4 weeks. Might transplant them again into 1G Root Pots.

Off topic. I did not do a A/B test but I did crank up the Blossom setting on the lights for my annuals, And it sorta does induce blossom. Some have flowered with one blossom. The rest are setting up their 1st blossom. And many of them I see a additional 3-4 extra blossoms developing.

Anyhow, I don't know whether or not the ~red~ induces blossoming in tomatoes but my so non baseline test seems to show it does
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #47
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Mobiledyn: Yeah, lighting toward the magenta/red induce blossoming. Those who grow "flowering herbs" love that part of the spectrum. Marigolds under those lights really put on a bunch of buds. Dunno if you have seen the products at Fluence Bioengineering in Austin: https://2xuwao2gok1v2wn2em9n5ys8-wpe...RAY-180327.pdf
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #48
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Default wispy leaf, flower, fruit

mobiledyn and Nan Pa: Here's a look at "Wispy" Sioux. This seed came from a 2017 Sioux that was grafted to "Supernatural" rootstock...the seed of which came from a 2016 Sioux...the seed of which came from a 2014 Sioux that was grafted to "Maxifort" rootstock. This was planted on Jan. 1, 2018 under LED's. Dunno if this is a wispy leaf or not. But the leaves on this plant do not match those three examples in the previous photos. Perhaps it is not a wispy Sioux. Perhaps it is an accidental cross. The real proof will come in the tasting. Question, now, is what might be anticipated from seeds of this particular fruit? Sure would appreciate any thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wispy fruit.jpg (367.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Wispy leaf flower.jpg (362.6 KB, 45 views)
Old April 20, 2018   #49
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Mobiledyn; From rereading your #41 posting, best guess is that your lights may be too close, or too intense or on for too long. The plants will let you know when/if too much light, or not enough light...Problem is that they take too long to let you know.
Old April 20, 2018   #50
encore
Tomatovillian™

here's how close i put my lights, if name stakes weren't in the way they would of been closer to start with, lol---tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (119.0 KB, 37 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018   #51
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I've had mine off the lights for 2 days I think. Started hardening them. Mainly on my back deck, which has some filtered light on/off. Figured it would start with some fresh air. Indoors all day today not under lights as it's rainy and cold.

Slight observation. Could be due to less stress under the lights or they are hungry for lights. Some stems seem to have grown 6-7 inches higher over the past 3 days !
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote