Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 25, 2010   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate with Iron

Has anybody used this instead of actinovate? It is made by the same company. I saw it at a local store and was wondering if it could be used in lieu of plain actinovate? I have used neither product before.

Another question, can actinovate and myco innocualants be used together? Meaning will the actinovate cause the mycho fungi to die or not work?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

creister, yes Actinovate and Myco's can be used together. In fact I put Actinovate in my microbe tea prior to the 24 hour aeration.
Ami

Last edited by amideutch; February 26, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a post by the markrting director for the folks that manufacture Actinovate and he posts here as boomtown. Ami

Actino-Iron is not water-soluble like Actinovate so you cannot apply as a drench. Most commercial growers use Actino-Iron as a soil additive when they go to plant in the ground. So the next time you order a bulk load of soil from your soil manufacturer, tell them to add Actino-Iron to it. Although Actino-Iron may also be used as a top dressing, Actinovate SP would be easier if you're simply using it as a preventative on existing plants.

For treatment of foliar disease, you would only use Actinvate since it can be applied as a spray. There is nothing in your bag of Actinovate except the microorganisms on a whey carrier. Our microorganisms are very powerful and that is why they can tackle the toughest of foliar disaeses. Actinovate works exceptionally well on powdery mildew. No secret ingredients just all-natural goodness!
Old February 26, 2010   #4
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Ami, I believe this has been covered before, but where do you buy Actinovate? I have not seen it in stores in my locality.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

If you google it, you should find several online vendors. Wormsway is one that comes to mind.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I see that this product with the IRON is not soluble.

But there are soluble fert products that have Iron added options. DO NOT use a soluble Iron product on your tomato and pepper SEEDLINGS.

Trust me when I say you will regret it. I've killed quite a few peppers and some tomatoes before I knew what the problem was. Something as little as 1/2 % is enough to hurt small seedlings. When the plants are bigger or in the ground they can take it, but not when they are small.

Things that I've had problems with are "Roots w/ Iron" and competing similar products. Regular "Roots" works fine. It's just the added Iron product.

Some liquid fertilizer with added Iron has also stunted plants for me. I use a weak fertilizer solution in all my greenhouse water all the time to prevent the water from flushing out the neutrients. But if you seem to have slow or unusual for you growth, look at the label to see if there is Iron and change if there is.

I learned the hard way with lots of dead plants. Hopefully you won't have to.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #7
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting. I've never heard that about iron before. I wonder if it's the form of iron, because I know I've used complete fertilizer products that had iron, and I've used the Maxicrop with iron before; and I haven't noticed any problems. I do dilute to about a quarter of the recommended strength for small seedlings, but I haven't noticed any real problems. Oh course, since I was watering them all with it, I might not have noticed any temporary stunting. I may have to do a side by side this year and see if I can tell a difference.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I don't know either.

I just know that I've had problems with anything just germinated up to about 4 weeks or so. And only on Solinacae (sp) with hot peppers seeming to be the most vulnerable. It didn't bother any of the cole plants in the same greenhouse.

We do use various Milorganite blend products and it has Iron in it but the dry iron products don't seem to have that problem, at least not on the big plants out in the field.

I had 1 product that we had used for several years. Then we had a couple of years of odd growth. I didn't think to look at the label of that product at first. When I did I saw that they had changed to formula to add iron. As soon as we stopped using it, things grew better again.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

For Actinovate check out TCS Hydroponics out of Michigan. They sell it for $19.95.

http://www.tcs-hydroponics.com/doc/insectdisease.htm

Altgarden is the one I ordered out of this year and they carry Actinovate for $20.50

http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart....duct_list&c=97
Old March 5, 2010   #10
bohica
Tomatovillian™

Amideutch,
thanks for all of the info, I have recently done a boatload of research on actinovate as well as talk indepth with a few growers that had some serious pathogens in their soil that have use Actinovate successfully for the past 2 years to keep they disease issues at bay, after hearing so many positive aspects, we decided to carry it, I'll be using it for sure as a preventive and contact.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2010   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

bohica, when are you going to have it on your website? Ami
Old May 2, 2010   #12
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Can't believe it -- the local big box (OSH) is selling Actinovate. They have a coupon for $16.99, good for a couple weeks! It wouldn't have caught my eye if not for the discussions of it here.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010   #13
bohica
Tomatovillian™

Ami,
We currently have the Actinovate and Actinovate with Iron listed, sorry for the delay in reply.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote