Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old November 24, 2009   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone used Tomato Thrive?

Has anyone out there used the Thrive line of products? If so, what are your opinions?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

THRIVE Microbial products is made by a Canadian firm. They don't list the ingredients for their products at the company site so I don't know. $15.00 for 16oz (1 Pint) and they don't tell you whats in it! Go to Fungi.com and check out 'MycoGrow Soluble' and 'MycoGrow Gel'. The Soluable and Gel products retail for $5.95 per ounce and The Gel makes 32oz and they list their ingredients. Ami
Old November 25, 2009   #3
tessa
Tomatovillian™

if your thrive is the same as my thrive....
then that is a chemical fertilizer as far as i'm aware.
not green gardening.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #4
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Is this the one you mean?
Salty_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009   #5
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Thrive

geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009   #6
markstowe
Tomatovillian™

Zamzows Thrive, Thrive Extra with Concentrated Mushroom Compost Fraction and Thrive bloom are great products......I had fantastic results with them this year.
Dr. Jim Z's Super Tomato Maker is excellent also

Old November 30, 2009   #7
creister
Tomatovillian™

The product I was questioning is what geeboss has a picture of. Heavily promoted by Howard Garrett, aka the Dirt Doctor. He usually has very good organic gardening advice.
Old December 8, 2009   #8
Lavendulafleur
Tomatovillian™

I agree with amideutch.

"Tomato THRIVE with Mycorrhizal Fungi" seems suspect to me when *any* gardening additive doesn't list ingredients.

It appears to be an expensive specialized snake oil for us tomato devotees when you can merely add the mycorrhizae yourself from a more reputable source such as www.fungi.com.

Yet another company attempting to cash in on the micro-organism with mycorrhizae craze a la Dr. Earth and Espoma lines. (Dr. Earth has been focusing on this for a while. Espoma only in the last couple of years.) How long has Tomato THRIVE been out?

Lovely colorful label, though.

Last edited by Lavendulafleur; December 8, 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Additional information
Lavendulafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2010   #9
creister
Tomatovillian™

I have only seen it promoted in the last 6 or so months.
Old February 24, 2010   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

The THRIVE in question is produced by Alpha Bio Systems.
Old February 24, 2010   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

This is copied from the Alpha Bio Systems website. There is nothing there on the contents of the product. I've been doing research on microbial products the last couple weeks and if you can tell me what you are looking for maybe I can help. Here's the cut and paste from the Thrive website. Ami

THRIVE products are a liquid blend of Plant Growth Promoting Bacteria. They create a healthy, productive environment that is essential for superior plant growth and vitality.

The complex micro-organisms in THRIVE make it much more effective than products containing just mycorrhizae. THRIVE works from the roots up. The microbial activity introduced into the soil stimulates root growth, mass and length.

Thrive can be used with all types of fertilizers. In addition to enhancing the bioavailability of fertilizer and decaying organic matter, the bacterial in THRIVE colonize on the hair like structures of the plant root to increase nutrient absorption and stimulate growth. The result is more resilient and robust plants that are better able to withstand transplant stress, excessive heat and disease. Increased flowering and fruit bearing is also common.

THRIVE can be mixed with water or applied directly to the soil. THRIVE contains no fertilizer, herbicide or pesticide. THRIVE is safe to use around pets when used as directed and will not interfere with other treatments. The bacteria in THRIVE will remain viable between 35 and 120 degrees with as little as 18% soil moisture.

And this is from the Dirt Doctor Site. Notice that they have 8 different Thrives at the Dirt Doctor site and only one from the Alpha Biosystems site. So who is manufacturing the Thrive Clones?

Alpha BioSystems Announces Licensing Agreement with Howard Garrett, the Dirt Doctor

Wichita, KS – Dec 15, 2008 – Alpha BioSystems (ABS) announced today that an agreement has been reached with The Dirt Doctor to recommend and endorse the entire line of all natural products being introduced for Spring 2009 at retail stores nationwide. ABS manufactures a proprietary blend of all natural microbial products that enhance the growth of plants, clean up pet odors and clear ponds large and small naturally without the use of chemicals. The products include: Tomato THRIVE, Flower THRIVE, Vegetable THRIVE, New Plant THRIVE, Turf THRIVE, Liquid Thatch Remover, Tree & Shrub THRIVE, Compost THRIVE, Clean Pet THRIVE and Aqua-One.
Old February 24, 2010   #12
creister
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

I am looking for a product that will aid in my gardening efforts. Increased health and production from tomatoes as well as beans, cucs, and summer squash. I believe that the myco fungi do help enhance these things.

I use Howard Garrett's site as one resource to help in my organic knowledge and efforts. That is where I saw this product that I had never heard of before. Anyway, any reccomendations you have I will surely give a look into.
Old March 9, 2010   #13
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Creister, I bought it at Calloways in Lewisville as it was the only myco product they were carrying and I was ready to get what I needed right then. (weren't carrying actinovate, but in negotiations for some now with multiple vendors) Of course C's was very excited about the product. The alpha biosystems web page has this generic comment about the thrive family of products:

Thrive / Terra-One™ Buy it here! THRIVE products are a liquid blend of Plant Growth Promoting Bacteria. They create a healthy, productive environment that is essential for superior plant growth and vitality.

The complex micro-organisms in THRIVE make it much more effective than products containing just mycorrhizae. THRIVE works from the roots up. The microbial activity introduced into the soil stimulates root growth, mass and length.

Thrive can be used with all types of fertilizers. In addition to enhancing the bioavailability of fertilizer and decaying organic matter, the bacterial in THRIVE colonize on the hair like structures of the plant root to increase nutrient absorption and stimulate growth. The result is more resilient and robust plants that are better able to withstand transplant stress, excessive heat and disease. Increased flowering and fruit bearing is also common.

THRIVE can be mixed with water or applied directly to the soil. THRIVE contains no fertilizer, herbicide or pesticide. THRIVE is safe to use around pets when used as directed and will not interfere with other treatments. The bacteria in THRIVE will remain viable between 35 and 120 degrees with as little as 18% soil moisture.

They also have a MSDS sheet on it here calling it Thrive/Terra One:
http://www.alphabiosystems.com/galle...a-One_MSDS.pdf

Hope it works because I'm going to use it!

Do you just use as a soil drench or is it also useful by some other means?
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2010   #14
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I've scanned and uploaded the images off of a thrive bottle (fairly poor scanning job, sorry). If you blow up the pdf, maybe you can tell what the active ingredients are. If so, what do you think of this product?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thrive B&W.pdf (1.84 MB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf Thrive.pdf (2.41 MB, 8 views)
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2010   #15
creister
Tomatovillian™

I hope it is good, as most of Howard Garretts info works well. I don't know enough about this product or others to comment. I used myco's two years ago, and had a very productive year.

If I use it, I am using it as a soil drench only, applied right to the base of each plant.